Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 180G Project

Post Thanks / Like

180G Project

Picked up my 180G and the other 40B for the Refuge last night. Waiting to set it all up until I move into a bigger place the beginning of Dec. But here's the foundation of my dream project. Right now it's the stand, which I'm going to reinforce to support the weight of the tank. The tank itself with 2 overflows. All the plumbing for the Refugium. The 3 glass tops for the tank. And going tonight to get the baffles and silicon for the 40G.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a fun build. Curious, why are you going to reenforce the stand?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some thick glass if you want to make your baffles.

Post Thanks / Like
    congrads how exciting!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame itself is very weak. And the base boards we're nailed in uneven so the stand itself is slightly uneven. I'm just going to get a huge piece of wood for the bottom and make it a flat bottom, put 4x4 in each corner going to the top and lining the top with 2x4's going all the way around for the tank to sit on. Then running supports across the top part of the frame. And some glass would AWESOME! I went to Home Depot to find some and all they have was 1/8 inch pieces. I could glue two of them together and do that but no matter how I do it, I'm spending $60 on glass after the military discount. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the picture of the stand, that top section is what is supposed to hold a 200lb tank with 1500 lbs of water. I'm sure it wont be able to hold that.

Post Thanks / Like
    you would be surprised, I had a 155g with 1/2" thick glass, 200lbs of live rock, 200lbs of live sand and the rest with water and the flimsy pine stand held it fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather be safe than sorry you know? After paying so much for these two together, I'd rather not see something happen, even if it's someone like a crack because the stand wasn't level you know? lol

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://s107.photobucket.com/user/Co_...?sort=4&page=1

How I built my 125 stand, years ago.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    that is a sturdy stand it could of probally held a bigger tank then your 125

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kutcha View Post
    that is a sturdy stand it could of probally held a bigger tank then your 125
    Easily. 2x4, on end has a 2200LB shear strength.

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    thing is a freaking beast

Post Thanks / Like
    New pictures of the stand and the tank. I knocked the top supports out along with the bottom of the tank, ran the 4x4's all the way to the ground with a new base board that sits completely on the floor to keep the stand flush and level. Enforced the top of the stand with 2x4's all the way around with mid supports. All sitting on the 4x4's and then the actual stand itself that I put all the support on the inside of has been complete screwed to the inner frame. Then painted black. Next I'm going to be painting the back glass on the tank.

Last edited by Project Tanked; 10-20-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice!! that should take care of any strength doubts that's for sure, Look's good!!

Post Thanks / Like
    looks awesome my favorite part is the floating hand giving the thumbs up lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so I made my Refugium and it's not as traditional as others that I have seen, but the Refuge was designed around the protein skimmer that's going in it. I've decided on getting the AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200 for it. I build a glass box around where it's going to go and split the box in half horizontally. Then added egg crate around it with some gutter protector that I cut to fit and make a type of shelf to hold my carbon, filter and bio balls. Also by doing it this way, uses less room of what could be the refuge but gives me most area to use for those things I'll be putting on the shelf's instead of creating baffles and using those. The lower glass before it opens up for the bottom shelf is 5" tall, allowing me to have up to at least a 4" deep sand bed. By opening it all the way around, allows for flow to come out in more directions that just one as well. Top shelf will sit just barely under the top water level at 13" and I have a 2" stand for the skimmer to sit on top of so that it sits where it should be in the water. The drain from the DT will drain into the corner behind the skimmer, where the inlet for the skimmer will be. I don't see why this wouldn't work as well if not better than traditional methods of building a refuge, but seeing how I haven't seen one made like this, I really wont know until it's running. But this just like the rest, is a project. And I'm hoping to be as unique as possible. Next will be the ATO using the JBJ ATO and a 20G Tall tank. Also, much thanks to xsocali for supplying me with the glass to do this. Huge help!

Last edited by Project Tanked; 10-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the design. Why are you going to use bio balls and not live rock rubble? Bio balls are nitrate traps.

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to use live rock, but I've been told by several to use bio balls. And the one reason I heard in 3 different occasions was that using them allows more room for the bacteria to grow vs using live rock because of the hollow holes in the bio balls. if live rock will work better, than it's no issue going that way instead.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bacteria live in the pores of the rock. Bio balls, because of the large openings attract and hold detritus, upping the nitrate levels in the tank.

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes a good bit of sense to me. If that's the case, then why are some people very partial to bio balls? And besides crushed live rock and a few small bags of carbon, is there anything else I should add to those shelf's or in one of the baffles towards the end of the tank? I plan on using a form of filter for larger particles ontop of the first baffle at the end for whatever might escape the system and I'm sure that there's enough there that the micro bubbles will have been removed by then. I'd like to utilize everything I can on those shelf's to help keep the system stable and clean. I plan on using the live sand in my 40B currently just because it's been cycled and cultured and there's more copepods in that tank than I'm sure I need. And giving this is a refugium, could I benefit from putting some egg crate across the middle, about 4-5" below the water level to serve as a platform for frags?