Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 180G Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

180G Project

Picked up my 180G and the other 40B for the Refuge last night. Waiting to set it all up until I move into a bigger place the beginning of Dec. But here's the foundation of my dream project. Right now it's the stand, which I'm going to reinforce to support the weight of the tank. The tank itself with 2 overflows. All the plumbing for the Refugium. The 3 glass tops for the tank. And going tonight to get the baffles and silicon for the 40G.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a fun build. Curious, why are you going to reenforce the stand?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some thick glass if you want to make your baffles.

Post Thanks / Like
    congrads how exciting!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame itself is very weak. And the base boards we're nailed in uneven so the stand itself is slightly uneven. I'm just going to get a huge piece of wood for the bottom and make it a flat bottom, put 4x4 in each corner going to the top and lining the top with 2x4's going all the way around for the tank to sit on. Then running supports across the top part of the frame. And some glass would AWESOME! I went to Home Depot to find some and all they have was 1/8 inch pieces. I could glue two of them together and do that but no matter how I do it, I'm spending $60 on glass after the military discount. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the picture of the stand, that top section is what is supposed to hold a 200lb tank with 1500 lbs of water. I'm sure it wont be able to hold that.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say refugium you are meaning sump, a refugium or fuge is a tank or area in a sump that people put a deep sand bed, macro algae or miracle mud into, a place also that usually has slower flow so pods can flurish, a sump which may or may not have a fuge is a place you put skimmers, heaters, reactors, probes and return pump.

Who are all these people who are telling you bio balls over live rock ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the difference between the two however there is no real separation between the skimmer area (sump) and the refuge. Water can still travel back and forward between the two area's. But as far as the bio balls, I'd rather not put names out there because one is on the forum. I'll just talk to them one on one should I talk to them about it again and find out why they're partial to it and explain the reasoning behind others opinions as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Tanked View Post
    I understand the difference between the two however there is no real separation between the skimmer area (sump) and the refuge. Water can still travel back and forward between the two area's. But as far as the bio balls, I'd rather not put names out there because one is on the forum. I'll just talk to them one on one should I talk to them about it again and find out why they're partial to it and explain the reasoning behind others opinions as well.
    except for there is and what you built is a sump, not saying it cant have a fuge in it but the correct term for what you have pictured is a sump

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freedominco View Post
    except for there is and what you built is a sump, not saying it cant have a fuge in it but the correct term for what you have pictured is a sump
    Technicalities. lol The primary purpose of my "sump" is to have the Refuge. But seeing how a sump can either have or not have a Refugium area, I assumed it would make a bit more sense to refer to the sump as a Refugium because that's what it's being made for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is alternative to the bio balls you might try

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marine...2-spheres.html
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrw79 View Post
    Here is alternative to the bio balls you might try

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marine...2-spheres.html
    Those look pretty nifty! Never seen those.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    What the rock looks like after 2 months of being in the tank. Only about 13 small pieces in the tank to make them "live" so that it'll when it comes time to set up the 180 and get the rest of the rock cycled

Post Thanks / Like
    How long did you cycle it in ro water?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I let them soak in water for a while. Once I felt they were good, I put them in my hang on filter next to the carbon and let them stay in there for 2 weeks to monitor my tank. Nothing bad happened and nothing spiked so I put them in the tank. And they've been in there for 2 months now

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow because I have had mine soaking for nearly 3 months now and they are still leaching salt

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    So as the end of the first day/night of assembly has reached itself, this is what I have done so far. Floor under the house has been reinforced. The plumbing has been completed minus installation of the bulk heads. (Can't find the freaking rubber gaskets I bought!) I got the Loc-Line heads from SeaScape today and installed them on their pipes. 40G Breeder is set up in the stand (sump) along with a 20G Tall (ATO tank). Got lucky with the leveling of the tank. I filled it completely to check for leaks and also to level it. Its perfect at all 4 corners. I also have all my DIY rock being cycled in the garage minus about 7 pieces that are in my other tank that are already live. Total I have about 130 lbs of rock for the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking really good. Stupid gaskets! I'm having trouble finding some for my unions after I took them apart and painted some pieces. It's not like they are camouflaged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep looks like your diy rock is still leaching out a ton of salt as well, I wouldn't put it in a tank yet.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk