Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's 530 Gallon System Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Says above 41 inch tall stand

Post Thanks / Like
    Cody, I'm going move the pool table over and put it over there.

The stand is tall but I'm going to have room to stand on it behind the tank for access.

The way my computer monitor sits I want it a high view so I don't block too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't look here for a comment.

sps addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Any progress pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not til I get over for the drywall work...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 89delta View Post
    Not til I get over for the drywall work...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    I did the drywall work around the tank, when I put the wall in ;-) Just cover with plastic to keep dust out.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    We the people of scmas demand updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found some time for an update:

The walls had to be modified to make room for the stand to make it through the hall. The stand is 124 inches long, 41 inches high, and 36 wide. The hallway wasn't big enough. The night before my in-laws arrived my wife heard me telling my youngest son "It's going in tonight. Get the saw". Probably not what she wanted to hear. Not the best timing I've ever done.

The open wall space to the left will be turned into built in shelving for storage of all my junk. A door will be added to the far end of the hall to block off my office/ fish room/ man cave.

Added a sink and rerouted some plumbing to make access easier. Thanks Levi and GreaseballPaul for the help! The 55 Gal barrels will go under the stand when I get some 1/4 inch line long enough to route it over from the RO/DI filter on the wall above the sink.

Made some ceramic structures and frag plugs. I used Laguna B Mix 5 clay and fired it to a bisque cone 05 over at the Air Force Academy hobby shop. Here is my newest design before it went off to get fired.

Side view.

I had help from some of the church youth getting the tank onto the stand. About 800lbs lifted about 42 inches high. It took everything we had to keep it straight and get it onto the stand.

The tank finally on the stand. For reference, the sump under the stand is a 72" long 150 gallon tank I modified. The red liner is tape I put on the edges of the 3/4" foam under the tank.

I also put foam under the sump and put a layer of shower pan liner (40 mil PVC) to keep it all contained.

I used quickrete construction adhesive to stick it to the floor and edges of the stand. I wanted to create a pan to catch water and keep the bottom of the stand dry. I ran the shower pan liner up the side wall where the stand butts against another room.

I added a line that goes straight from the sump to the main drain so any build up of water will go right out. If it ever sees use, something has gone pretty bad wrong. Since that is likely, I'm glad Levi suggested the idea.

The tank is on the stand and the sump is full. I put my old live sand in the refugium side - it looks like about 8.5 inches of a deep sand bed. I might take some out periodically after everything settles because I was planning on a 6 inch sand bed. I had the sand in a big black plastic bin with a heater and powerhead for a long time. I had at least two big nassarius snails living in there. I thought I got out all the living snails a long time ago. Those guys are tough!

I added some Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria to the sump. I've used it before and it seems to really safely speed up the cycle. I've got some cleaned rock I'll be adding to the sump this weekend. There is no organic material left on the rocks so they should just collect the new bacteria. I'll be adding some copepods, amphipods, more clean up crew, and a few fish as soon as I double check the water and it looks good.
    I'm working on the plumbing for the tank and will post more updates as it moves along. I've got some other pictures of the install, but they are on a camera I can't get the pictures off right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW thx for the pods, I am amazed at HOW MANY were in there as they are EVERYWHERE in my tank and sump. Everything looks awesome. I will check it out when I come to drop off the snails.

Post Thanks / Like
    The skimmer fits just right in the space between the sump and the edge of the stand. I got the Reef Octopus 5000 External with neck extender and auto cleaner plus an external collection container from eBay. Hoping it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great can't wait to see it in person!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Who built your stand?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks legit Joe!! Keep the pix flowing

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the build. BTW, Water alarm is your friend. Put one on a small piece of shamwow, in your stand on the liner. Put it at the lowest spot and if any water gets in there, it sets off the alarm. They also make sensors for your controller that will text/email you, if the sensor picks up a leak.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Love the build. BTW, Water alarm is your friend. Put one on a small piece of shamwow, in your stand on the liner. Put it at the lowest spot and if any water gets in there, it sets off the alarm. They also make sensors for your controller that will text/email you, if the sensor picks up a leak.
    Good advice. I have a battery powered one, but I'll be getting one for the controller too.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Good advice. I have a battery powered one, but I'll be getting one for the controller too.
    I have the battery one and it has saved my butt more than a few times!

The New glass 300 build

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    looks awesome joe. keep the pics coming

Post Thanks / Like
    I moved some of my RO plumbing around. I attached my main valve just above the sink and ran a RO/DI line to be able to direct it right to the sink if I want to. In just one day I can tell that is really useful. Now when I rinse out something like a bucket, filter, or test vial, I give it a final rinse with RO water without having to fill a contain and pour it. This will be a big time saver for me.

I've been taking my time deciding how I want the plumbing run for the new tank. I kept hoping the tank would settle a little on the side and level out just about a 16th of an inch since it's on 3/4 inch foam. It hasn't, so I'm going to slide the tank over, unscrew the 3/4 inch board under the foam on that corner and see if I can get a shim between the corner of the board and the stand. That's all I'm waiting for to be able to fill the tank and at least let it start cycling while I complete the plumbing underneath.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I moved some of my RO plumbing around. I attached my main valve just above the sink and ran a RO/DI line to be able to direct it right to the sink if I want to. In just one day I can tell that is really useful. Now when I rinse out something like a bucket, filter, or test vial, I give it a final rinse with RO water without having to fill a contain and pour it. This will be a big time saver for me.

I've been taking my time deciding how I want the plumbing run for the new tank. I kept hoping the tank would settle a little on the side and level out just about a 16th of an inch since it's on 3/4 inch foam. It hasn't, so I'm going to slide the tank over, unscrew the 3/4 inch board under the foam on that corner and see if I can get a shim between the corner of the board and the stand. That's all I'm waiting for to be able to fill the tank and at least let it start cycling while I complete the plumbing underneath.
    smart. any plans on covering the overflow boxes? leaving them clear? or are you going to cover them in your fake rock work. keep me posted on this Joe. I am trying to figure out what I want to do for mine as well

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like

Shim it under the legs and not under the plywood, if you can. shimming the plywood at one end is going to cause it to raises up off the stand and when the weight gets put back on, cause stress on the tank and ply.

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, I tried that, but it just raises the whole end of stand without making a difference. Honestly that's why this is taking so long. I keep putting off doing something about it because I don't like the idea of shimming under the wood or leaving it slightly off level.

Here is a shot of the bubble level.

Here is a shot of the tank with a little water in in it.

It is 3/32" off from left to right when looking down the full length of the tank- the right side needs to come up. However, the whole tank isn't off, just the last 2.5 feet. Maybe the tank was made slightly off? One washer and one razor blade stacked under the level and measured at 3/32" makes it level at the end. One spar over that same amount makes it off level the exact same in the opposite direction. It is sitting on 3/4 inch foam. I wonder if it will level out with a full load in the tank, or if it can handle that little bit of difference if it doesn't.
    Last edited by Joe; 02-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    Don't look here for a comment.