Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's 530 Gallon System Build

Post Thanks / Like

Joe's 530 Gallon System Build

I bit the bullet and ordered a new tank. It will be 3/4 inch glass with starphire on the front and left side. Display will be 350 gallons 112"L x 25.5"W x 30.5"H. It will be built into the wall right in front of my desk in the basement office. The left side will be exposed and the right side will be close to the side wall. I'll build a rock wall again for the back and a rock wall for the right side. Access will be from the back where my HVAC stuff is. I'm planning on using my 90 gallon sump, plus another tank to have a big refugium. I'll probably have a turf scrubber in there somewhere too. It will be RR with two overflows. I'm going to use the lights I already have. Not sure about a return pump yet. I have a MAG24, but not sure if that will cut it.

The tank won't be here until about a month or so. I'm going to have a big sale to help get money to pay for all this. Probably about two weeks from now I'll be moving about a garage stall worth of stuff.
    Last edited by Joe; 12-30-2014 at 11:54 PM.

2. Likes jrod34a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear Joe. Like I said if you need help getting everything cleaned up to take pics i'd come help out as well as the setup too.
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice sounds like a tank!!! Who's building it?

I have some reeflo dart pump I'm getting rid of cheap if you want to do them for returns

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be from glass cages.com. I'm not sure about the dart yet, but that is probably what I'll get. How much are you asking?

Post Thanks / Like
    $125 each I would get a seal and bearing kit for them just to be safe which is $30 shipped

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, you can pick up seal kits locally at the Dart maint facility. Tony will even install them for you for $50.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Craigar, I'm sending you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cleared my inbox so you can

Post Thanks / Like
    I had more travel and work than I expected and I haven't made any progress. The tank should be here next week.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    hurry up joe. im growing impatient. im biting the bullet as well. almost bought a 67o gallon yesterday. wife will be pissed when one shows up at her doorstep. But, I think that i am going to buy new as well. 500 + is the goal in replace of the triangle tank. go big or nothing

12. Likes jrod34a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, some movement on my build. Here is the HVAC room with the double doors removed.

Here it is now. Something must have damaged the walls and the only thing to do is put a tank up to hide the ugliness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a layout of the setup. Everything is to scale. First without the stand, then with it. the tank is 112 long. 350 gallons. The sump is a 160 gallon. I think I'll build a frag rack into either the side of the refugium or the return pump side. I'll probably have to do a floating frag rack if I put it in the return pump side. I don't think the refugium side will work because of the flow I'd want in the frag section.
    Last edited by Murfman; 11-09-2013 at 08:21 AM.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive. This is going to be awesome!
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the view from inside the fish room (formerly know as HVAC room). It shows the ball valves to use the return pump as a water change outlet, and a floating frag rack in the return pump area. I've still got some details to work out like how to put a door in to get into the room. I'm planning on building a wood stand using 4x4's for the vertical supports spaced about 26 inches apart. If anyone knows a good welder and thinks a metal stand would be better/cheaper, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to metal stand if you can get it powder coated for a decent price.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stacy7127 welded up my stand. IDK how much he trolls the forum still but you might be able to email him. If not, let me know and I will email him for you.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also get the modular racks like what Ritmar has outside using for a counter top. Super beefy and its like putting together an erector set. Its the same thing used in warehouses to hold tons and tons. Nice thing about them is if you ever move and need to sell the tank, the stand can be taken apart and repurposed or made larger or smaller depending on needs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    My tank is in Colorado Springs at a warehouse. It's on a long pallet about 11 feet long and weighs close to a thousand pounds. I need to get it out of the warehouse and into my house Monday evening around 5-6. I might post looking for some help getting it here and into the house.

I have a metal stand being built and powder coated that won't be ready until about two weeks from now, so the tank is just going to go straight in the basement and sit off to the side until I can get the stand in. The stand will be 123.5 inches long, 41 high, 36 deep with one bolt in removable lower brace on one side, and on one part of the lower back area so I can get the sump and 55 gallon barrels in and out if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol....."off to the side"? I've been practicing my tetris, so just let me know if you need any help
    Last edited by codeman01; 11-18-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    LEARNING SALTWATER ONE "CRASH" AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    How tall is that stand going to be unless it is above and I missed it?

On the dart pump, I had Reeflo put new seals, bearings, and a full check over on my Hammerhead for $135. This is after I made the mistake of trying to install a set myself (I ruined the poor things even after thorough research). I highly recommend having them do it and having the piece of mind that it is done right.

Murph is a pro as he had done them multiple times when he had one (I think; not to put words in Paul's mouth).

Be wary of a real tall stand and 30" tank. I loved the viewing of my 220 on a 48" stand but after injuring my shoulder, the height is forcing the sell.

My 2 cents.