Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ich help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat044 View Post
    Can I buy the hypo/copper at Seascape or something? Sorry so many questions, I have never been through this.
    Hypo is the method of lowering the salinity if the water, you must use an auto top off and refractometer to do it successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad, read this

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html

a couple years ago I had a ich outbreak, I removed all the fish and put them in a huge tubbie, I ran hypo using the direction in the above website and have never had it return.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Not sure if seascape has the copper. Hypo is just lower specific gravity of salt mix.
    You can google the amount. I think it is 1.010 but DO NOT take that as gospel. I could be wrong.
    It's actually 1.008.

Post Thanks / Like
    Google "Hyposalinity Ich" there is a treasure trove of info out there. I'm going thru the same thing with the exception losing fish. Knock on wood. Plus it is a new set up so not much to lose. Lots of water changes. I don't have the luxury of getting the fish out (no way I could catch them). By lowering your salinity that low (1.010 and lower, which is recommended) will kill off you CUC and live rock. You'll have to re-cycle, effectively start over.
    Last edited by AGGJSW; 06-27-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    -Greg
    Want erotic? Use a feather. Want kinky? Use the whole chicken.
    Normal people scare the freakin crap outta me.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds crappy, but I have always had a zero tolerance policy for ich. At the first sign of ich I flush that fish immediatly. This has always saved the rest of my fish. If you think about the life cycle of ich, there is not really any treatment that would be fast enough to interupt the life cycle. It seems to always be a tang that starts the problems, at least with my experience.
    C'mon Man.

Post Thanks / Like
    My two tangs are the ones infected but..., other than the white spots, they are doing okay. Eating like crazy! All other fish have no signs (although I'm sure it is there, I just can't see it). I'm feeding a lot of vitamins and garlic too and some medicated food I got from bush8489 called Caviar. Gonna be installing a killer UV tonight I just got today from MarineDepot. Hopefully that will help a little. From what I've researched the jury is still out on how effective a UV really is. And..., the UV kills everything that goes thru it; copepods, beneficial bacteria, etc.) I haven't given up - I'm fighting the ich battle and hoping for the best but am not getting my hopes up and won't be surprised if I lose. I wish you the best. Good luck!
    -Greg
    Want erotic? Use a feather. Want kinky? Use the whole chicken.
    Normal people scare the freakin crap outta me.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I got all the fish into quarantine. Lost 2 overnight. The only thing left are 2 chromis. Those dang fish can live through anything. I am just going to focus on setting up the 90 and then start fresh. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure u treat those guys before u put them in the 90g

David

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I am. I started Copper last night. They aren't gonna go into the 90 before they spend some time in the hospital tank.