Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ich help

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

ich help

Somehow my tank has developed ich. Nothing has been added to this tank in 2 months. I don't have a qt tank. Anything I can do that won't kill the corals? I always feed with garlic. I have lost 2 fish already.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to try this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pid=PPC-B-4138 I won some at reef ed I haven't used it but it might work

Post Thanks / Like
    it dont work^^^. tried kick ich and ick attack nothing worked man if they are eating and doing fine just give them garlic and keep them happy, I wish thats what I would have done. I lost all my fish

Post Thanks / Like
    Ur best bet is to have someone take ur corals and do hypo. Only hypo and copper are proven to work.

David

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I would buy a small qt tank and leave the dt fishless for 7 weeks. That takes care of the tank for the future. Inverts will be fine in the dt because the ich won't attach to their to there skin.

Then either hypo them with a chemical or drop the salinity way down and raise the temp while feeding garlic. When you put your fish into qt start off with very little flow to keep the fish moving on their own. After a couple days introduce a powerhead when their immune system starts to recover. Allowing them to swim aqainst the current will create an appetite which will help fight off the infection.

If the dish look fine but are covered in spots rught now you can do a freshwater dip (rodi) for 30 seconds. This is not a guranteed method to stop the disease but I as well as many others have seen a large increase in fish that will make it.

Last option is to drop your salinity down and turn the temp up in the dt. This will not be good for corals so you will still need a qt for them. This option will allow the fish to remain calm which will keep the disease from jumpstarting to the final stage of ich. However, leaving the fish in the tank will only allow the physical symptoms to go away. You will always have it in your water and the next fish you introduce may restart the whole series over again.

Sorry fir all of my bad news. Keep in mind that all of these options have been trued by many people in this hobby and we all have our own little "this is what you should do's". If you stick to one of these three tou should have some/good luck.

Keep us posted in what you decide. I have a hang on the back filter and a few extra heaters lying around if you need to borrow them.

I have also tried kick ich with no luck. It goes straight to your skimmer and had little to no postitive effects on the fish.

Good luck

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard anything that cleans will work like cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse, cleaner gobies, crabs,.and more

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tang keeper View Post
    I heard anything that cleans will work like cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse, cleaner gobies, crabs,.and more
    Not sure what this means

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tang keeper View Post
    They only eat the cyst caused by ich, not the actual ich.

David

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kio is right, only things that work are hypo and copper. First thread in this forum is a post with extensive articles on ich. Something has changed in your tank, causing the fish to show symptoms from the disease they are carrying.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at a loss. Just lost another fish this morning. I am setting up a qt and hope that will save the last 2 fish. Praying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully that'll work. I have a 10g if u wanna borrow it. Whatever you do, don't add another fish for 6-8 weeks after you take out the last fish. Just let the inverts and corals be, they will be fine.

David

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I do any water changes while the fish are in the qt?

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Chad, that bites.
    Is this your new 90g or the one you were going to break down?
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, most QT are not cycled so ammonia/trite/trate build up quickly. Make sure you are close to same pH and temp as the tank water.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my small tank. I have never had a problem with ICH. It just all of a sudden showed up. I lost my kleins butterfly, an anthias and today a clownfish. All the other fish look like they have it, except the 2 chromis (go figure). The 90 I got is sitting in the garage. I guess a reason to start working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Dang Chad, that bites.
    Is this your new 90g or the one you were going to break down?

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question. Does it have to be a fish tank? Can I use a tote as as a QT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes u can. Just need a heater and filter.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Use some old water, mix in new, start hypo or copper. If u need a heater or hob filter, let me know.

David

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I buy the hypo/copper at Seascape or something? Sorry so many questions, I have never been through this.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if seascape has the copper. Hypo is just lower specific gravity of salt mix.
    You can google the amount. I think it is 1.010 but DO NOT take that as gospel. I could be wrong.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!