Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 500 gal build in 18 days

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    FISHroom update:
    3 bags of black carribean sand were added for a deep sand bed fuge.

A few macros to naturally erase nitrates

2 clowns (who doesn't love these little bugers)

2 evo ufo 20k 2:1 ratio lights. 1 for the macro tank and 1 for the frag/chaeto racks. Both lights were connected to a pc1 (reef keeper adapter that controls whatever is plugged into them) and plugged in to the gfi outlet that was installed at the beginning of the build. These lights run on an opposite timeline of the dt to help stabalize the ph.

Corals have been added to the frag/qt racks for close daily observation. This will allow us to prevent any unwanted pests, aptasia, and bubble algae to the display. I am a huge fan of allowing my filtration areas to accumulate the algaes to build up away from the dt and export nutruents naturally.

Sorry for the phone pictures of the corals but I gurantee these things are very brite.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Future projects will consist of:
    -Wp40's installed
    -Fish qt installed
    -Back up heaters installed and set to kick on at 78. These heaters will almost never kick on and will be serving as a back up to a back up. They will be plugged in to another breaker along with a pump on the dt. Both the heater and the pump will be hooked up to a battery back up. (I run my tanks at 81 which does create more of a need for top off water but helps me (or just my mind) prevent the spread of fish disease).
    -top off pump. This was already done but the current pump creates a nasty back siphon due to the top off tank being higher than the sump. This will be mitigated by using a dosing pump (when I find a nice used one), that doesn't allow a back siphon. The tank is currently top offed manually once a day

Post Thanks / Like
    Been following, looks sweet, thanks for the pictures and descriptions

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much. Your welcome. My plan was to answer a lot of beginner type questions with this build as well as document for tank progression. Glad it worked

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you set up your refuges? Like what pods, cope amph? how many chambers and what flow rate do you use?

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been two years, how is the system going?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Tank is great. This system has the happiest and fatest fish I have seen yet. There have been quite a few issues with electronics failing but it runs itself for the most part. I am going over this week and will post some pics.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Murfman , Coral Xpressions thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well JJ I haft to say Looks amazing ! and I am always at awe of your projects and scale of them and lets not forget the mad skills Good job

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks larry. Ill have some nice surprises for everyone at the meeting this month as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Thanks larry. Ill have some nice surprises for everyone at the meeting this month as well.

Surprises for everyone = new levels of fish tank envy

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found this thread. Bump for some sweet updating over the next 12 days

Last edited by static reef; 01-15-2016 at 08:40 PM.

13. Likes Bozo Clownfish liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Some awesome updates to this system over the next few weeks. Pics will be coming soon.

I didnt want to post until assurance of sustained aquarium life, but we now have a gem tang in the club.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Well. Here goes nothing. Over the last month I have been planning some big changes for this system while battling my own fish problems at home (I'll update my thread sometine soon) and refinishing my basement and and and and.

Before

About 6 months ago I removed the fuge and installed an additional FOWLR 150 gallon to the system. Other than that the system has been unmodified since birth.

Anyways, the 100 acrylic sump busted a seam at the base which caused for the system to go sumpless for almost three weeks. With the sump space being 5' w and only having 26" in height, the space severley limited my options for a replacement. After dozens of phone calls and numerous conversations with hooked, we found a solution and went for it. I had a 6' w sump that was in great shape at the seams with a crappy homeade baffle job.

Doyle went to work and shaved off a foot to allow it to fit. He removed a ton of wierdness and we decided to cover the front and sides in white acrylic for a nice finish/coverup of old seals. The sump is completely custom designed for this exact system. Doyle not only built this to perfection, but helped me install as well.

Still have some touch up paint to complete from where we had to scrape out all of the salt creep from the old sump that was leaking for (apparently) quite a long time.

Alot more update pics to come over the next few weeks, but one hell of a start.

16. Likes Joe, Murfman , ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad to hear you had all the hassle, but it looks cool now.
    Don't look here for a comment.