Thread: Trochus snails

Post Thanks / Like

Trochus snails

So I always noticed that my tank breeds them but never saw it in action...

This morning before the lights were on I passed the tank and noticed it was incredibly cloudy. I panicked at first but everything (corals and fish) looked happy still with no signs of stress... I flipped on the white lights to see what's up an sure enough...

Every trochus snail in my tank was spewing out either eggs or sperm in a white milky substance... I mean I've got hundreds of these guys in the tank now and so the eggs and sperm mixing in the tank made the water almost nontransparent... Pretty crazy to see and definitely almost gave me a heart attack...

Didnt really think about it at all so I didn't turn off my skimmer or anything so I'm sure I lost alot of fertilized eggs but still thought I'd share...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I get the same with my cerith's. Amazing lol
    Mad Science you say? I just call it Fish Breeding !

Genuine Copepod Scientist!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    So I always noticed that my tank breeds them but never saw it in action...

This morning before the lights were on I passed the tank and noticed it was incredibly cloudy. I panicked at first but everything (corals and fish) looked happy still with no signs of stress... I flipped on the white lights to see what's up an sure enough...

Every trochus snail in my tank was spewing out either eggs or sperm in a white milky substance... I mean I've got hundreds of these guys in the tank now and so the eggs and sperm mixing in the tank made the water almost nontransparent... Pretty crazy to see and definitely almost gave me a heart attack...

Didnt really think about it at all so I didn't turn off my skimmer or anything so I'm sure I lost alot of fertilized eggs but still thought I'd share...
    That's awesome! Haha well not the heart attack but them breeding Haha do you like the trochus snails? Do they do a good job?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    90 gallon reef tank, and an empty wallet for a college athlete!
    "It's all about angles. Whether on the mound or on your women."

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah they do a pretty good job. They kept the display pretty clean. Come out at night and help with the glass... During the day they all hide under the rocks though

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Campbell, sorry to revive an old post, but are these guys still going at it?
    Mad Science you say? I just call it Fish Breeding !

Genuine Copepod Scientist!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphispur View Post
    Hey Campbell, sorry to revive an old post, but are these guys still going at it?
    He moved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk