Thread: What happened to my LPS and SPS?

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to my LPS and SPS?

I had my frag tank hooked up and running before the weekend. The frag pieces that were in there looked fine( including monti's, acros, bird's nest pieces). Water parameters were good. Saturday night I took the frags that were taken out of my 220 when it leaked and moved most of them to the frag tank. The next morning the water was very cloudy and I saw a lot of dead tissue flapping around on pretty much every SPS. I did a big water change, siphoning off the brown dead tissue, and then dipped the corals in Seachem Reef Dip. I added Prime and I hooked up a carbon and GFO reactor in the sump. The water remained cloudy the next day. I repeated the water change and siphoning of dead tissue, and added vitamin C and Prime to the water.

The water had cleared a lot Monday and is clear now. It looks like I have lost about 30 SPS and LPS frags. Most of the tissue is completely gone from many of them.

I was afraid to move any of them into any other tank because of the possibility of spreading some disease. I can't see any visible parasites. The parameters have remained stable. A few of the frags might make it. I don't see a reason why some lost everything and a few are doing okay.

I'm pretty bummed out. I'm going to be missing a lot of stuff when I have my 220 ready to go again. I lost candy canes, Lobos, acans, monti's, digitata, acros, favias, pocillopora, and chalices.
    Last edited by Joe; 01-30-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang man that's horrible. Just can't catch a break can you... Seems like its a "thing" going around all these tank issues...

I'm sorry to hear this and wish now that I would have grabbed a couple things to watch for you the night we took down the tank...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing it must have been shock from movement from tank to tank in just a few days. To add to the fun, my lawnmower blenny just died by being stuck in my MP40. I don't see how he could have done it. He wasn't chopped up, just stuck in there and dead. I think he was pushed.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe. I am sorry to hear about your struggles. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'm guessing it must have been shock from movement from tank to tank in just a few days. To add to the fun, my lawnmower blenny just died by being stuck in my MP40. I don't see how he could have done it. He wasn't chopped up, just stuck in there and dead. I think he was pushed.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear that Joe. If theres anything I can do let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    did you test the prameters before and after? My guess is you had a cycle from having a new frag tank up and then adding all the coral and demand caused a possible spike. Your bacteria might not have been built up. Also temp swings and close proximity can cause issues.....
    Were there any leather or softies moved to the frag tank? When they stress they release toxin into the water column that will have a pretty severe impact on other corals. I know you were running carbon and GFO, but all of these might have been a possible factor.

Sorry to hear of the loss. I know it sucks! GL with the new setup brotha.
    -dilution is the solution to pollution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh, those things could have been factors. I tested before and after, but I had added prime before the after test, so it could have masked an ammonia spike.

There was only a nickel sized toadstool frag in there. It is doing okay.

Hopefully I will never be in a position to have to move so much at once like that. If I do, I'll make sure to take it slower and separate the types of corals.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Joe, that really sucks! I don't get it though because with the exception of frags getting knocked off rocks by snails and crabs, everything was doing good in my tank. The only thing that I can think other than what everyone else has said already is that it was raining the night (at least part of the drive) I brought them back and nothing had lids. I can't imagine that would cause these issues though, but I don't know? Also, when I brought them back I made sure to put softies in the buckets, but lps and sps were together in the tubs. I think that's how we moved them initially though with no issues.