Thread: Tank of the Month Ideas

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

Tank of the Month Ideas

Hi All-

I think that this is a great program. It seems as of late the participation has declined. I would like to hear from the club as to how this can become something that will gain more attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be cool to see a prize like a gift card to a LFS or A frag I bet we can find some one to donate something

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has to be self nominated like the bigger sites used to do. Nominations have to be in by the 10th or so, vote til month end then announce the winner. The winner then can tell more about their system. Things like equipment, livestock and dosing routines.
    C'mon Man.

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I think both are great ideas. I will try to see what we can get as far as a prize and also do some self nominations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Self nominations might be tough around here... So many of you guys out there with super awesome tanks are extremely modest!!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be a good idea if we had Joe take pictures of the TOM and used those for next years calendar. IDK what the lead time is to make the calendar is though but we could start with like Sept to Aug for the pictures and then the club vote on which tank goes on the cover.

Agree on the Self nomination thing. Most people don't want to toot their own horn and don't believe that their set up is any better than someone else's.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    AlgaeBarn would like to sponsor contests like this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there going to be different categories for this? Like for nanos and larger systems.
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know what everyone would like to do. We have tried this for the last two years and got no participation. I'm all for it if everyone will play.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlgaeBarn View Post
    AlgaeBarn would like to sponsor contests like this!
    I already love these guys!!! Thank you so much for getting involved!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen some really incredible tanks on here. I know that we don't always like to toot our own horns but we put some serious effort into what we do to accomplish what we have. I think it would be fun, so I'm in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Collin said he'll show u his tank for another fire fish....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Will there be a beginner category? us new guys don't stand a chance against you veterans. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydroid View Post
    Will there be a beginner category? us new guys don't stand a chance against you veterans. Lol
    You'll get beat hands down by a 5yr old.....damned kids win everything cause they are cute....lmao
     photo 1_zps371d357a.jpg

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydroid View Post
    That is not entirely true. If you look back at some of the past winners. "Blue71" won ToM and his tank was barely cycled. It was his preparation and build that got him the win. You newer guys look at a 10" acro or a 2' zoa garden and think that is the best. I assure you that all of the veterans have had more than our share of setbacks. What we like to see in a new setup is planning and layout. We can see the future corals on a bare rock that is placed in a cool layout. That is what wins Tank of the Month. colorful pictures help, but it's not the final say.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems the conversation slowed a little on this one, but I'll join once I get this 180G set up. Picking it up tonight from Brian and this weekend I'll be making my refugium and making sure all the plumbing is good. I won't be putting water or rocks in it until I move in Dec tho. What can I do for a contribution?

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I think people just start putting pics of their tanks up. Have a vote and that is the winner. The next month do the same thing. It isn't about tooting your own horn, it is about showing off your tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was not implying that we should " toot our own horns" for bragging rights but to be proud of what we have accomplished. It is not about just showing off your tank either. If we all had tanks built by ATM and had a company to maintain them, then it would be about just showing off our tanks. We have all put a lot of time and effort into our tanks, building them, maintaining them, learning from our mistakes through trial and error and especially learning with the help from other reefers that may or may not even know us. This is about getting people involved, exchanging ideas and knowledge, seeing different setups that might help us with our own setups or that we may be able to help them with theirs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quick question, as far as entering this contest, do we put the photos directly on this forum? or will an "official" thread be made?
    Mad Science you say? I just call it Fish Breeding !

Genuine Copepod Scientist!