Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plumbing Question

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet.

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    You know that wouldn't be that bad of an idea to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Thought I would put in my 2 cents. I did essentially what you are planning to do 4 months ago. I have a 220 gal tank on the main level of my house with the complete filtration remotely setup in my basement.

A couple of things- Make sure you use the right size drain and return pipe. 1" won't do it. 1.5" might. Clear poly hose tends to be easier to kink in that diameter unless you get stranded/braided and thats not cheap. I would stick to PVC or flex PVC. Clear poly needs to remain for short runs or undertank hook up.

I used PVC from the basement thru a wall into my tank. Angling thru the floor and wall was a pain in the A#$. My recommendation would be long straight runs and filtration hook up, use PVC. Use flexible PVC from the floor/wall into the tank stand.

If I had to do it again, I would use Flex PVC. It will cost more. The corners and 45s are not the expense of PVC pluming. The expense comes in the unions and ball valves which you will probably need either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeflextion View Post
    Ok. Thought I would put in my 2 cents. I did essentially what you are planning to do 4 months ago. I have a 220 gal tank on the main level of my house with the complete filtration remotely setup in my basement.

A couple of things- Make sure you use the right size drain and return pipe. 1" won't do it. 1.5" might. Clear poly hose tends to be easier to kink in that diameter unless you get stranded/braided and thats not cheap. I would stick to PVC or flex PVC. Clear poly needs to remain for short runs or undertank hook up.

I used PVC from the basement thru a wall into my tank. Angling thru the floor and wall was a pain in the A#$. My recommendation would be long straight runs and filtration hook up, use PVC. Use flexible PVC from the floor/wall into the tank stand.

If I had to do it again, I would use Flex PVC. It will cost more. The corners and 45s are not the expense of PVC pluming. The expense comes in the unions and ball valves which you will probably need either way.
    Well, I saw you tank AGAIN tonight, and have to agree. After talking to you again tonight I also realized how unprepared and uneducated I am when it comes to my build. A sponge absorbs a lot of water but it also drips through awfully quick as well, and I felt like a sponge trying to absorb yet leaking a lot of good info. Hopefully, like we discussed, when it comes to to actually doing the plumbing you can come over and instruct me...lol Also, I am starting to doubt my idea about all the tanks as far as the filtration end goes. Maybe I should retreat back to the Army's K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method and cut it back to just 2-33gal tanks somehow. I am starting to second guess myself all over the place now......make the voices in my head stop! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/...ody_schaffner/

hey everyone....I think I finally figured out how to get pics on here. I actually have more done now, but I haven't taken any pics yet. Let me know if this link works. I also included the html version below just in case.
    Last edited by codeman01; 09-30-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It works and it looks awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet, thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    So the build is finally complete on my 200g BF minus some painting touch-ups that I need to do to the canopy that I built. Take a look at my photobucket album and let me know how you think I did.

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/...ody_schaffner/