Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Question

Post Thanks / Like

Plumbing Question

Ok, so I am working on a 200g BF that I want to plumb to my basement. This may be very basic, but I am wondering if I can use all clear poly hose instead of PVC pipe. If not, what are the reasons? The only thing that I can guess is the possibility of algae build-up inside the clear hose. I was wanting to do poly hose because I figured it would be easier to work with, and also to replace if need be. Please give me some insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont see why you couldnt use poly...I think I would rather use poly myself.. lol like you said, easier to work with! Plus you take out the most of the flow restrictions due to elbows in the pvc... just my opinion(could be WAY off) lol
    What was once supposed to be a hobby, has quickly become an OBSESSION!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just be sure it doesn't cross at an angle where it could pinch. I did a DIY sump with refugium and I got some water on the carpet when the 1" hose kinked where it turned up over the edge of a sterilite three drawer plastic container I am using as a wet/dry filter. The return pump output more than the kinked hose was draining and my tank overflowed some. I had excess length in the hose that made it drop down, then angle up and it pinched off at the top edge of the filter. After I shortened the length to avoid the angle, it has been great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing as far as flow restrictions go. I guess my biggest reason for questioning this is because I always see setups with PVC and quick disconnects and figured there must be a reason. It seems like it would be way more cost effective than PVC. I would obviously make sure that I put plenty of ball valves in-line just in case I need to replace something or do maintenance. Does anyone else have any other input on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think cost-wise, pvc is a bit cheaper and actually creates a cleaner overall look... poly is just easier to work with for me.. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe--we must have been typing at the same time. I would have never even thought about the weight of the water in the hose causing it to bed and kink. Good call! Any thoughts on if it being clear would effect it all all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Git_r_done2x View Post
    I think cost-wise, pvc is a bit cheaper and actually creates a cleaner overall look... poly is just easier to work with for me.. lol
    I was thinking that poly would be cheaper just because I wouldn't need to buy all of the additional elbows and quick disconnects, etc. Although, I guess the small price difference should not be one of the factors, and I should just concentrate on just making sure if done correctly.

Other than aesthetics and kinks, can we think of any other reasons for not using poly?

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see a problem with it. Just do some cost comparison. You may accept the head loss from elbows after pricing the difference. I don't know that for sure.
    One of my tanks is plumbed with poly and the other is pvc. PVC is a cleaner look though.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    My only thought about it being clear would be if the light getting to it would cause some algae growth that wouldn't happen in PVC, but if it is going to be mostly hidden on the way to and from the basement, I don't see that as a factor. In fact, I have some tubing in 10 gal sump that came with a 40 breeder I bought. It has been getting a lot of light for over a year the way the other guy had it and hose is a light green, but nowhere close to getting clogged up with any growth. Also the overflow on it has a standard clear hard plastic U that all the overflow water goes through. It has some very obvious algae growth in it, but it isn't close to clogging.

However, because of the potential kinking, I think I would only go with it in really straight areas, or areas I could observe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do we think of the possibility of doing PVC out to the filtration and then poly back to the tank to avoid head loss? Or is that a bad idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, does anyone know where to get some good bulkheads here in C. Springs? Oh and another question....is there any specific way to plumb the piping inside my overflows for water going out? I am not sure if there is a specific height to let it overflow inside of the overflow (if that makes any sense) or if I can just have it at whatever height I want? Or can I just let it drop into my built-in overflow, and down thru the bulkhead?

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll want to prob make some durso stand pipes for both overflows. Google durso stand pipe diy and lots will come up. Will help with sound for sure, and also I think helps keep air bubbles from going into sump
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by codeman01 View Post
    Also, does anyone know where to get some good bulkheads here in C. Springs?
    I have bought them from Fishy Business when I needed them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrw79 View Post
    You'll want to prob make some durso stand pipes for both overflows. Google durso stand pipe diy and lots will come up. Will help with sound for sure, and also I think helps keep air bubbles from going into sump
    Thank you so much for the input, this was VERY helpful and exactly what I was asking about. I wasn't sure if anyone would have any idea what I was trying to say

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're worried about algae growth and kinking by using clear poly, how about looking into flexible pvc? No algae growth issues, very hard to get it to kink, and you can run it without having to use lots of elbows and fittings, thereby reducing head loss. You can get it online for much cheaper than you can in the stores.

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep flexible PVC would work great, good thinking. I need to order some for myself now that you suggested that
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing with using PVC is you get less heat loss PVC is very good insulator and a lot less likely clog up or leak in my opinion on my basement sump I'm doing PVC all the way till it goes through the floor then flex to the tank

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually need some help setting up my tank if anyone is down to help tomorrow during the day. I know this isn't my post but its related to it lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by farrar08 View Post
    I actually need some help setting up my tank if anyone is down to help tomorrow during the day. I know this isn't my post but its related to it lol.
    Sorry, I just read your post, otherwise I could have helped out. Did you get it all set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have been reading some random older posts and have found some posts about build with both. One post said that they tried poly before replacing it with PVC just two weeks later, and they wished they would have just done PVC first. I am thinking of trying PVC out and poly in......any final thoughts?