Thread: Acans not opening!!

Post Thanks / Like

Acans not opening!!

So I've got a few acans that I've acquired lately. However, since going into my new tank, none of them come out at all. Most are sucked all the way in and only let their feeder tentacles out a little at night. I've fed them at night, individually during the day to try and entice them out, but nothing. I've individually tried up high in the tank down on the bottom, out in full light, and completely shaded. Not sure what to do anymore and thinking about selling them off to someone who can enjoy them as I once did. Everything else in the tank is perfect, lps, sps, softies, chalices, lobos and nems. Whay could have caused this. AMonia and nitrites at 0, nitrates below mid range, I run nirtrate remover, gfo carbon and phosphate remover (in a media reactor). Only the acans are "affected" per say. Any help HELPS. If not, they go up for sale soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Most acans dislike direct light, esp high intense light. Maybe place them in a cave or filtered light area. Also what do you have for fish livestock?
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried different levels of shading...partially and completely with no changes. as far as livesock goes: 2 maroon clowns, a black clown, 2 false percs, hippo tang, yellow tang, sailfin tang, tomini tang, coral beauty, bicolor dwarf angel, banana wrasse (i think), 6line wrasse, pschyadelic mandarin, scooter blenny, 2 firefish, arc eye hawkfish, lawnmower blenny and a one spot foxface rabbitfish. Pretty sure thats it. I've never noticed anyone messing with the acans except the foxface, but it's turned out he just likes the taste of superglue and reef glue...wierd little guy!

For lighting I run 3 120w 20K LEDs about 13-15" off the water

Post Thanks / Like
    If their feeder tentacles are coming out at night I wouldn't worry about it just give them a little time to acclimate to the new tank and I bet they will puff up in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ding ding my vote is the coral beauty as they are a known acan pecker. Or at least mine was and after I got rid of it problem solved.
    To watch a Video of my Tank PRESS HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrw79 View Post
    Ding ding my vote is the coral beauty as they are a known acan pecker. Or at least mine was and after I got rid of it problem solved.
    Coral beauty is a new addition..only a week in the tank. This issues has steadily been going downhill for about the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 303travism View Post
    If their feeder tentacles are coming out at night I wouldn't worry about it just give them a little time to acclimate to the new tank and I bet they will puff up in no time.
    Well, when i say then come out a little, i mean just barely. most are hugging their skeletons all the time.

just tested params and they are as follows:

Amonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 80 (time for a water change i guess)
    ph - 8.2
    Phosphate - btween 0 and .25 ppm
    calcium - 480 (haven't dosed part 2 of brightwell reef a and b yet today)
    ALK - right around 3 (got trigger happy and pushed to fast on the syringe)
    Mag - 1500

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put money on the Coral Beauty. I had one for a couple weeks and he nipped at any coral in site. Also it could be that they are still getting too much light. I have mine tucked in coves and they love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wish it was just a fish. I spend countless hours in front of my tank "decompressing" from the world. Outside my foxface nipping at the different glues I've used, noone's been spotted messing with anything. I've also had a few of them tucked up into the shadows to only have them shrivel up even more. is there a certain trace element or mineral these things want??? Really wish I had a camera with soem battery life or a phone camera that didnt suck so I could show how miserable they look

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Man this sounds bad. If it isn't a fish and you have tried low to no light. I am not sure. I know some people on here are awesome with Acans. Maybe they can help. Sorry....

Quote Originally Posted by bush8984 View Post
    I really wish it was just a fish. I spend countless hours in front of my tank "decompressing" from the world. Outside my foxface nipping at the different glues I've used, noone's been spotted messing with anything. I've also had a few of them tucked up into the shadows to only have them shrivel up even more. is there a certain trace element or mineral these things want??? Really wish I had a camera with soem battery life or a phone camera that didnt suck so I could show how miserable they look

Post Thanks / Like
    My coral beauty LOVED acans!
    C'mon Man.