Thread: Lateral Line Disease Treatment

Post Thanks / Like

Lateral Line Disease Treatment

Is there such a thing? Petco has a couple of Purple Tangs that came in with Lateral Line Disease. Can they be treated not to just stop the disease but wipeout all evidence of it; the scars?
    -Greg
    Want erotic? Use a feather. Want kinky? Use the whole chicken.
    Normal people scare the freakin crap outta me.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to hear that. Those two little fish were nice, just priced wrong. I watched one of them playing with one of the yellow clow gobies in the tank. The tang would lay down on its side and the clown gobie would come over and sit on it. To be honest, they looked like they were getting busy and i thought i had stepped into a fishy sex scene.
    Anyway, it looks like the problem starts from stress of some sort and your best approach is to eliminate the stress and then treat with antibotics to fight any other problem that might take over.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Paul. I read both of those articiles first but wasn't happy with what they had to say. I want someone to tell me the fish can be cured in a well rounded out aquarium environment and all traces of the disease will be wiped out with proper vitamin enriched food and a good night's sleep. Am I asking for too much here? I believe in miracles.

-Greg

WatercolorsGuy
    I recently acquired a large sail fin tang with a severe case of lateral line disease. Probably have had it about 3 weeks now. He has made some remarkable progress in healing since coming to my place. At first I had it in a 125g that was pretty empty except for some live sand and a couple small rocks, no other fish, he is in my 90g reef tank now. I moved him after about a week because he seemed a little stressed without any thing in the tank. He is healing good, one side has probably healed up 30% or more, he is eating and swimming normally. The only thing I am doing for him is good quality foods including some with garlic added and a good envirnment to live in. The "skin" that is being replaced is skightly darker than the rest of him, but I anticipate he will recover fully.
    I say give yours a good varied diet with garlic added and maintain good water quality with a stress free environment (ie. Not being harrased by others and with a feeling of safety) and it may very well come around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WatercolorsGuy View Post
    I recently acquired a large sail fin tang with a severe case of lateral line disease. Probably have had it about 3 weeks now. He has made some remarkable progress in healing since coming to my place. At first I had it in a 125g that was pretty empty except for some live sand and a couple small rocks, no other fish, he is in my 90g reef tank now. I moved him after about a week because he seemed a little stressed without any thing in the tank. He is healing good, one side has probably healed up 30% or more, he is eating and swimming normally. The only thing I am doing for him is good quality foods including some with garlic added and a good envirnment to live in. The "skin" that is being replaced is skightly darker than the rest of him, but I anticipate he will recover fully.
    I say give yours a good varied diet with garlic added and maintain good water quality with a stress free environment (ie. Not being harrased by others and with a feeling of safety) and it may very well come around.
    Thanx!
    -Greg

WatercolorsGuy
    There will probably be some scarring...the healed portions on my tang are a little darker than the rest of him. But not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by WatercolorsGuy View Post
    I Agree 100%

IMO you can't go wrong with good quality food and a little garlic. From what I've seen the majority of fish that Have some sort of disease are malnourished.

My yellow and purple tangs both had lateral line when I first got em and there's no sign of it now.

WatercolorsGuy
    Here is the best pic I could get showing how he is healing. He was eroded from his face to his tail...now it is healing along his side. Hopefully his face will heal as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up the darker purple tang from them late last week, i've been watching them since they got them in and the one I got has colored up to a nice dark purple. I feed him different colored seaweed 3 times a days, vitamin c with dinner every other night and garlic the other nights. He's a real active and freindly fish. The other tang was still at the store. no signs of lateral line or scarring, he jsut wasn't as purple. I love mine and he looks great in my tank.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bush8984 View Post
    I picked up the darker purple tang from them late last week, i've been watching them since they got them in and the one I got has colored up to a nice dark purple. I feed him different colored seaweed 3 times a days, vitamin c with dinner every other night and garlic the other nights. He's a real active and freindly fish. The other tang was still at the store. no signs of lateral line or scarring, he jsut wasn't as purple. I love mine and he looks great in my tank.
    how Big is the other one?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    He's about 4in he's just really light in color. They should have them for 100 and oh btw there is a magazine called tropical fish and in it there's a 25% off entire purchase of petco marine (last month issue) so make sure to check that out too

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bush8984 View Post
    He's about 4in he's just really light in color. They should have them for 100 and oh btw there is a magazine called tropical fish and in it there's a 25% off entire purchase of petco marine (last month issue) so make sure to check that out too
    Cool, thanks.

The New glass 300 build