Thread: March Tank of the Month WINNER

Post Thanks / Like

March Tank of the Month WINNER

The first Tank of the month nominations have come to an end. After reviewing all of the club members nominations we have a winner, it was very close but we have a winner by 1 vote. So without further waiting the SCMAS BOD would like to congratulate Blue71 for being the first tank of the month winner since it has been reinstated. Blue71 was elected by his fellow reefers for many reasons but one stands out more for me than any other. This kid is a 100% more dedicated to the hobby than many people (myself include at times) and his newest tank build clearly shows he has the patience, knowledge, and skills to be what I call a reef expert! So congratulations Blue71 we look forward to seeing your system progress and look forward to many more of your builds.

Blue71- First of all, I'd like to say Thank you to everyone who has helped me with any of my tanks, donated frags, and all the advice that has been given on this forum.

SCMAS BOD-What are your plans for your system? What kind of corals do you want to keep? also any ideas on a stock list for your fish?

Blue71- My plan is a community reef tank, with mainly soft corals. My current stock is two ocellaris clown fish, 2 blue chromis, a yellow tang, and a starry blenny. I would like to add a Sailfin Tang, and a Blue Hepatus Tang and another chromis. I realize that I have quite a few fish in it for a tank that's only been up for a month and half. The tank cycled within a week and a half, and everything that has been put it in has thrived, every frag I've put in has opened within 20 minutes, minus one chromis however, who wouldn't eat, and died within a few days.

SCMAS BOD-So blue tell us all about your new system. How many gallons is your tank, and what type of filtration are you using and why?

Blue71- This tank is a custom acrylic 125 high, in actuality it holds about 112 gallons. It's 48x18x30. The tank is reef ready, with a black back. The stand and canopy were custom made to match a kitchen, and since it was in a kitchen, it has a one inch thick slab of granite on the top. I have a Euro-Fil model 125 sump, it's a little small, but because of the stand, you can't get a larger one in it. I run it with the stock filter sock (Keeps my water clear, but I clean it every other day) live rock, chaeto, and a sponge.

SCMAS BOD-we all know that lighting is of the most important areas of reef keeping. What type of lights will you be running? Also if you could have any light set up what would it be and why?

Blue71- I currently have an AquaMedic Oceanlight 4x54 watt fixture, I like it a lot, but I may upgrade eventually. I'm thinking that if I could do any lights, I'd do 2 dimmable EVO 150's. I like the way you can control them so much.

SCMAS BOD-All reefers love the smell of fresh skimate in the morning haha what are your plans for skimming? What type of skimmer do use and any reason why?

Blue71- I'm using my Remora Pro with a Rio 1700, it works well, eventually, I'd like to get an ASM, but I don't know If I could fit it in my sump.

SCMAS BOD-Water movement can be hard to configure in large tanks, what are your plans for water flow? i.e. wave maker, closed loop, power heads etc.

Blue71- I currently have a Koralia 1050, as well as my return line, a Gen-X PCX 40, ~1200GPH. I'm thinking that I'll add another Koralia soon.

SCMAS BOD-Is there anything else you would like to add?

Blue71- That's pretty much it. We'll see if I can get some photos up, but my MacBook Pro is in for repair (Don't get me started...) and I have to use my old PowerBook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue can you post up the pictures that you sent me, I couldnt transfer them in the thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize for the quality of these, I just got my MacBook Pro back from Apple tonight after a week without it (Don't get me started...) So I used my iPhone to take these, I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow. The camera on it makes my tank look really green, it's not nearly that green, I promise you.

125 Show In Wall

The money that used to get poured into my tank, now gets poured into my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome and congrats!!! Great looking tank!
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric
    It's just advice; you can do what ever you want to do!

Click Here, Here, or Here, To See My Previous Tanks

Click Here, or Here, for help with your acrylic project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a sharp looking set up. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. It still needs more work, time, and money, like always
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Being this young having an amazing tank like that! wow! Very impressive!

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice, congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!
    Happy Reefing!

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats. I have to agree it's quite an acomplishment for your age.... for any age really - great job.
    ✞Never let insincere sincerity be your response. And don't engage in selfish acts of selflessness.✞
    - Joseph
    My 180g mixed reef: http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...e-s-180-build.
    DBTC Received- Orange Delight zoas, purple digi (died), sour apple bird's nest
    DBTC Given- 5xs Eagle Eyes, 3xs orange digi, 20xs L.A. Lakers Monti, reverse space monster, 2xs clover polyps, 2xs neon green birds nest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job man! Looking sweet!
    Jason Davis
    'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'
    - Ronald Reagan

Pimped out 40g breeder mixed reef, 20g sump, with ASM Mini G

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Harry, looking good!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, very classy! Nice job Harrison!

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Tank looks awesome! Congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Coming home to this today was so relieving, I spent all day replumbing the skimmer and sump at the office, it was a huge PITA, and then the pump locked up, and I had to take it apart again. The venturi on the LifeReef skimmer was clogged, and I forgot my brushes so I had to stab it with a paper-clip, and then during the water change, one of my buckets cracked, and leaked out all over the floor. Just a sh!tty day. But now, It's woking good, so at least maintenance from here on out should be easy. Ergh.
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Harry

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Harry the tank is looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!!!

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Harry