Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Journal for Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding Journal for Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)

First step is to determine if you have a pair. To distinguish Male from Female see the picture below. Note the stripe between the body and the tail, if it is broken it is a Female, if the stripe is solid it is a Male. Pretty simple; of course there are other characteristics, but this is the easiest way to tell.

Tank parameters are as follows:
    Temp 78 degrees F no variation at all.
    Salinity 1.025
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates undetectable
    pH 8.2-8.4
    Calcium 400 ppm
    Alkalinity 3.5-4.0 meq
    Magnesium 1200-1250 ppm
    Phosphates .02-.04 ppm

Feed
    New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets

Here is my timeline:

May 2011
    3 Female Sexy Shrimp added to my ADA 60P Nano Reef:

One of them:

11/5/2011
    Discovered how to tell Female and Males apart and was disappointed to discover that I had 3 Females in my collection. What luck huh?

11/8/2011
    Went ahead and purchased a 4th Female Sexy Shrimp from Trish, figured you can't have enough girls.

11/11/2011
    I was off to Denver to find 2 males to ensure someone would get freaky with my girls.

2 Male Sexy Shrimp added

11/27/2011
    Noticed this strange behavior, 4 Females around 1 Male

12/3/2011
    Discovered EGGS!!!! Sorry for the crappy pics, I didn't have time to clean the glass as she was in the perfect position to get some quick shots...

More updates as they happen... I'm currently working on a kriesel system for raising the fry, but don't think I will have it finished and cycled in time for this batch... Time to get creative...

12-4-2011
    Lost one F, not sure what happened but she was covered in nassarius snails this morning, 3F, 2M remain. So, I have 1 with eggs overflowing her tail (picture above) another that has a male protecting her so I believe she is either carrying eggs or is in the process of laying them. The last female is smaller than the others and is a little reclusive. The remaining male is smaller than the other male and continues to hide under a small lobo's edge.

12/5/2011
    What the flip!!!!! I've kept these shrimp for months without issue, I come home from work today and I can only find 1 female carrying eggs, and my smaller female with a partially damaged body... ???? Both males are MIA and down another female!!!!

12/6/2011
    Moved the remaining F which is carrying eggs to a make shift nursery using 2 magnets, an inverted 1L bottle with a brine shrimp screen over the cap and the bottom cut off. An airline bubbling approx 45 BPM provides flow, and some plastic sewing mesh for the F to hold onto. Added some live BBS which I hatched that day just in case...

12/7/2011
    Checked on the tank this morning to find the F had molted, and all the eggs have hatched... I now have countless little sticks floating in the nursery along with more BBS for them to feed on. I was able to remove the F with some luck, and she is now hanging on the outside of the nursery... She clearly knows what is up as when I removed her, she went to the bottom of the tank, and was climbing around on some rock work. 30 min later, and she is hanging on the bottom of the bottle where the cap attaches. ??? Decapsulating more brine eggs, for another hatch culture.

For size comparison, that little circle is a brine shrimp egg, and the fuzzy one is a BBS.

12/11/2011
    So I think my babies have had their first molt, they appear larger to me, and seem to look more red. Sorry, no updated pics...

12/13/2011
    Built a second nursery just like the current one and transferred everything to the new so I could clean the old... The screen was pretty clogged so it was a good thing I changed it. Still a lot of BBS left over tonight, hope I'm just overfeeding on accident, cut my BBS dosing to 20ml from 30. Also setup a picotope for grow out once they start to settle. Used water from my main tank, and moved a single piece of LR I added to the display tank about a month ago just for this purpose. Going bare bottom for easier cleanup since I'm going to be doing lots of water changes to keep up with this one. I'd like to plumb it into the existing system, but not ready for that commitment, nor do I want have to buy a new return pump for the additional pull.

12/14/2011
    Took a stab at some pics, and while they suck, they reveal something sweet, EYE STALKS!!! You can clearly see the eyes on Day 1, but they are on the body, now on day 8 they are elongated! Woo Hoo! Proof they are growing!!!

Still tiny though, here is some plastic sewing mesh for comparison:

And some density shots from 2 days ago... Only the bottom region is in focus, but there are many more floating in the middle and upper regions as well. I pulled the bubbler so you can see how a lot of them collected on the screen at the bottom.

12/23/2011
    Well crap, I'm down to about a dozen babies with a week to go until settlement... Not sure if I will have a shrimp before long. To make it worse, I don't have any adults left either to hope for another batch... wonder if I split the spawn into multiple bottles if I would have a better success rate? Not sure if I will try again or not.
    Last edited by calvin415; 12-23-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric
    It's just advice; you can do what ever you want to do!

Click Here, Here, or Here, To See My Previous Tanks

Click Here, or Here, for help with your acrylic project.

randomfish
    congrats and good luck e cant wait to see larvae

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it!!! Awesome that you are taking the time to jump into this and try. I will be following this one fo sho!
    -dilution is the solution to pollution.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, our own HBO series, Sister shrimp!!!!!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the support guys, I was shocked and disappointed this morning to see one of my females on the sanded with nassarius snails all over her. Down to 3 F and 2 M. Not sure what happened, but sucks either way...
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    What the hell is going on with my shrimp!?!?!?
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

randomfish
    what up e

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I updated my original post log...
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

randomfish
    so you have all your scrimps glad to hear

Post Thanks / Like
    No, quite the opposite...
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the pregnant female went hormonal? My pregnant female gets that way sometimes, just wondering if there was any kind of connection.

randomfish
    women moody bi***s lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadam3085 View Post
    Maybe the pregnant female went hormonal? My pregnant female gets that way sometimes, just wondering if there was any kind of connection.
    LMFAO!!! That has to be the Freakin funniest post I've read al year! Free frag outa my tank for that one Jon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any possible predators in tank? Maybe they are severely territorial when breeding..... No real answers brother, just ideas and speculation. Sorry. I know it's FRUSTRATING to lose stock you care about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what is up... 4 of them were clustered together with the solo male just chillin by himself the night before. ???

Checked this morning, and I was able to find 1 single egg carrying female. I find no pieces of them, no explosion of algae from a nutrient spike, skimmer isn't going nuts, and ATS doesn't have much growth. I had 3 F in there for months, and all 6 for a month before eggs started showing up. Now there is 1 left! Thought maybe they went for a surf in the overflow, but no sign of them in the sump. Perhaps they got sucked into the MP10, but there are no pieces and I would expect a hell of a mess from something like that. ???

Just strange.
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is hormonal on a normal day ;-) Luv you hunny!!!! IDK, E, I know nitrates are a big issue for inverts. If everything was normal, up till you saw eggs, I am thinking territory. You have two males in there, maybe one is killing off the females with eggs fertilized by the other male? Just a hypothesis.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol! My only theory is the MP10... ??? I came home tonight from work to the same two (I added the screen to the MP10) females still hanging in there, hopefully the damaged smaller one will recover. I took the larger egg carrier and put her in a make shift jail... Hopefully this will keep her safe and any fry from escaping as well. Unfortunately my camera died so I have no new pics, but the battery is on the charger so hopefully pics tomorrow.
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I have babies!!!! They are about 5x as long as a BBS which they are feeding on, but are like little twigs floating around! These things are tiny!!!! I placed the F in the jail last night as the eggs were just hanging off her and was hoping they would hatch last night, sure enough! I came down stair this morning to find them all swimming around the "jail" Took me a while to catch the F but finally got here out. Now she is hanging onto the jail from the outside... ???

These things are far too small and are tumbling too quick to get a pic, but if anyone is curious, give me a shout and come check them out. Now the task of hatching BBS constantly (I decapsulate first) for the next 28 days or so. Hoping for the best. :fingers crossed:
    Last edited by calvin415; 12-07-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats man, that is pretty impressive, good luck on the babies.
    Last edited by the haj; 12-07-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: lt

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice, E!!!!

The New glass 300 build