PDA

View Full Version : Remora Pro

blue71
08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
As most of you know, I seem to kill pumps with this skimmer really fast. I killed another one... So I put my spare Mag-5 on it. Will this be okay? It seems to be running it pretty well. This is the Remora Pro, and online it recommends a Mag-3.

Scuba_Steve
08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I have heard of many people who run a mag 5 on a remora pro. You should be just fine. Worse comes to worse, but a ball valve on it and dial the flow back to see if it preforms better. Output side, never input side!

dv3
08-25-2011, 06:59 PM
As most of you know, I seem to kill pumps with this skimmer really fast. I killed another one... So I put my spare Mag-5 on it. Will this be okay? It seems to be running it pretty well. This is the Remora Pro, and online it recommends a Mag-3.

dont think it would hurt ...if it doesnt give you skimmate then you might need something different

dv3
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I have heard of many people who run a mag 5 on a remora pro. You should be just fine. Worse comes to worse, but a ball valve on it and dial the flow back to see if it preforms better. Output side, never input side!

i love your avatar ...i could watch it all day ...lol

Scuba_Steve
08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
i love your avatar ...i could watch it all day ...lol

That is disturbing... :)

On a side note, boy did I just realize how many words I butchered in a small 4 sentence long post. I guess I need to slow down and proofread...

dv3
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
That is disturbing... :)

On a side note, boy did I just realize how many words I butchered in a small 4 sentence long post. I guess I need to slow down and proofread...
we can edit again ..dont even have to pay now!

blue71
08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Now My Mag died. Wow.

dv3
08-25-2011, 08:45 PM
now thats luck...sorry

blue71
08-25-2011, 09:07 PM
its under warranty, more of a hassle than anything else.

scrumpto
08-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Wow, you kill pumps before I can even post a reply. On a Remora Pro you can use anything up to a Mag 9 if I remember correctly. Best balance I've heard is a Mag 3 on a Remora and a Mag 5 on a Remora Pro.

Okay, that advice is a little late. You keep killing pumps? If they're new I'm beginning to wonder if you have power issues at your house. Might want to do some testing and/or put your pumps on some kind of line filter.

Scuba_Steve
08-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Your running these directly off of the wall/power strip correct?

Pumps do not like artificial ac power provided by generators etc. They do not produce a true sine wave. It is more block like. I believe it can kill them eventually.

I used to use a mag 3 I bought used for everything. I tortured that pump. Ran it dry, sucked up who knows what, the list goes on. That pump never died. I have had 2 other mag pumps (much less abuse), never had one die. I would start asking question if I were you.

blue71
08-26-2011, 03:31 PM
The Mag 5 was the one I got with shelbys tank, it is bulged on the case, It's covered by warranty so I just have to ship it out. The other two pumps I had on it were used. So I have no idea how old they are or what kind of use they have seen. It's on a surge protector, so that should be fine, and our power seems to be fine.

scrumpto
08-26-2011, 05:15 PM
If I understand correctly then, you haven't actually used a new pump and what's burning out are old pumps, correct? If so then all bets are off. Put a new Mag 5 on there and then see what happens.

blue71
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes, But the Mag-5 I have Is only a little over a year old by the manufacturer date. It was used as a return, It still has no excuse for bulging and breaking. The Mr Aqua I had was a piece of **** (pardon my language) I went to clean it out to see if that was the problem and the impeller was broken in half. The MJ 1200 worked ok, but was too small for this skimmer.

Whoa! When did we get something that edits profanity?

blue71
08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Maybe I should've kept the QuietOne I gave you...