PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms taking flight

helpwithhealing
07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I've got a 125 gal tank with a lot of live rock. Some of my live rock pieces have a lot of mushrooms on them. They have been looking great for a long time now but in the past two weeks a whole bunch of the mushrooms have let loose and floated to other areas. I'd say about 15 or 20 of them. Is that normal or is there something happening that they don't like?

J&A Timberlake
07-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Have you changed anything recently? if so, what?

helpwithhealing
07-31-2011, 08:48 PM
The only change is that I added several mangrove trees.

J&A Timberlake
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Though it is normal for them to relocate this way, it's usually only done when they are in search of a more hospitable area. That's why I asked about the change. With no significant change though, I wonder how long it has been since you replaced your bulbs? perhaps the spectrum has changed enough from age that they are no longer comfy. Dunno? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

amonchak
07-31-2011, 09:52 PM
+1 to being normal, One reason why some peolpe don't have mushrooms in the displays is due to the mushrooms moving (or relocating via current and drifting) and then warfare with other corals.

helpwithhealing
08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I didn't think about the lighting. I've actually never replaced these bulbs - its time. Thank you for pointing that out.

J&A Timberlake
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
sure thing. hope it helps ya.

Ranger
08-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I had a similar problem with mushrooms, but it was after I changed lights. The new lights were too bright so they were trying to get to a less intense area. I used the toothpick through them into a hole in the LR to hold them in place. I also relocated their rock to under a overhang to get them out of the direct light. I have used wedding veil to get zoas to attach to rocks. I only used superglue for SPS.