PDA

View Full Version : Help: Pump Problems

blue71
07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
My new pump was set-up by Reef N' Pond for me, it has airline tubing to a little piece on the output so that it pushes air into the skimmer, I can't seem to get it to pull air in, instead it pushes water out. it's cut on a 45 degree angle. How do I get it to work correctly? The pump is a Mr. Aqua

torquehound
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Is it needle wheel? Try blowing into it to see if you can get it to start sucking. Is it restricted on the outlet as it goes into the skimmer to where it has to push the excess out there?

dv3
07-22-2011, 09:11 PM
try switching the the tubing maybe it is hooked up backwards

from a quick search seems like a pretty big pump for a skimmer...which mode lis it?

blue71
07-22-2011, 09:34 PM
try switching the the tubing maybe it is hooked up backwards

from a quick search seems like a pretty big pump for a skimmer...which mode lis it?

It's a Mr. Aqua 3200. I've tried everything, it only blows water out. From what I could find, Aqua C Remora Pro's don't need the airlines because they have an air intake already? That confused me even more.

blue71
07-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Is it needle wheel? Try blowing into it to see if you can get it to start sucking. Is it restricted on the outlet as it goes into the skimmer to where it has to push the excess out there?

I tried blowing into quite a few times, and I ended up getting a mouth full of tank water quite a few times too :)

dv3
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
From what I could find, Aqua C Remora Pro's don't need the airlines because they have an air intake already? That confused me even more.
it doesn't need and airline ...needs a mj1200 i think

blue71
07-22-2011, 10:26 PM
I had a mj 1200 on it before. i didn't get much from it.

dv3
07-23-2011, 06:53 AM
I had a mj 1200 on it before. i didn't get much from it.

wouldn't expect to get much with no bioload (no fish or corals) ...its a good skimmer put the mj back on it and take the mr aqua back
...oh and reef and pond really isnt the best choice in stores ....are you going to elite reef fest today? great time to check out elite reef

torquehound
07-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I had a remora too on a previous tank. Simple and straight forward. Worked well enough. Definitely doesn't need the airline. I know you can run a slightly larger pump than stock on them. I din't look at the specs on the pump you purchased. dv3 is right though. You don't have much going on to produce much skimmate yet.

blue71
07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
...oh and reef and pond really isnt the best choice in stores ....are you going to elite reef fest today? great time to check out elite reef
I know Reef N' Pond isn't that great, but it's on the way home from my dads work. So it's convenient.

scrumpto
08-16-2011, 03:05 AM
You can run a Mag 5 on a Remora Pro. No airline needed as it's a downdraft design. I modified my Remora with a drain hose so I didn't have to empty the cup everyday. Biggest trick I learned with this skimmer is to use a bottle brush and keep the bubble chamber throat clean constantly or it stops working.

dane
08-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Its an injection Skimmer I made the same mistake when I first got mine.
Any pump will work up to a mag5 I ran a mag3 with great results

Scuba_Steve
08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree, remoras are good little skimmers. They do not need air provided by the pump though.

On to your pumps problem... You said the airline is on the output? That should not be right, I have never heard of that before. Is there any way to move it to the input? That is where most pumps bring in air, then the pump impeller chops the air into finer bubbles. This is what skimmers require to properly operate.

I tried searching for the pump you mentioned but could not find any pumps made by mr aqua other than an air pump...

scrumpto
08-24-2011, 01:07 AM
It sounds like it's setup like an old Hagen powerhead with the airline on the nozzle so in theory, it "should" draw air "if" your pump is only slightly below the surface. I had problems with mine once when the airline was shoved too far in so it didn't create the venturi effect and draw air.

That said, I think you're going to find even if it does draw air that will screw up the operation of the Remora. The Remora works on a set mix of water and air. If you artificially increase the air in the mix I think you'll actually lose performance rather than gain extra bubbles (unlike most skimmers). If I were you I'd simply plug the hole and see how it does.

What are the specs on the pump?