PDA

View Full Version : newbie!

rebecca
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
hi. I'm new to the reef tank community. Ive got a 55 gallon I'm tryin to set up with some reef.Any one know where I can get some reef frags without breakin the bank? Since I am new dont wanna go hogwild.Would really love to add some vibrant color to my tank as well.If anyone has some ideas for me I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Rebecca :)

Git_r_done2x
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Welcome. There are a lot of members that sell frags for really cheap. If you keep your eye open, Im sure that there will be somone paying it forward and tossing you a frag or 2 for free...

J&A Timberlake
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Welcome. Glad to have you here. Is your tank cycled yet? How long has it been set up? You got any pictures of it you can post? What kind of lights/sump/skimmer/ etc? I'd love to hear more and see what it all looks like.

(also, I may have a couple free frags to help get ya started. I'll let ya know.)

rebecca
07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks so much! Ill keep checking and see hwat I can find! O another quick question.... ive got a green wolf eel thats roughly 1 1/2 foot long is he reef safe? i know my butterfly isnt but she eats some algae sheets i throw in there.

rebecca
07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Blah! I mean *what* lol. And only one reef.lol fat fingers

rebecca
07-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Umm its been up and running for 3yrs now.as for light/skimmer/pump ive got no idea! dad set it up for me. He bought all of the stuff.Its a canister (i think thats right) filter.And that would be awesome! Ill try n get some pics. Thanks timberlake!

J&A Timberlake
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
the green wolf eel is not reef safe as far as clean up crew and smaller fish go, but it shouldn't hurt any corals. I'd watch taht butterfly. Even though it's eating the sheets now, it could at any time decide to go after polyps or other corals. I've heard many stories of people who thought they had a semi reef safe fish that is known to not be reef safe. They have said everything was fine until the fish matured and developed a desire for their corals. (I've also heard of some that didn't end that way. so best of luck either way)

PuD
07-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Your green wolf eel is technically reef safe when it comes to corals but, it will destroy your clean-up crew (snails, crabs and small fish) that most of us have to help keep our reefs clean. Hope that helps.

rebecca
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks! Ill watch her and see what happens.If she starts to eat them then guess ill get her another tank! Lol. ya my eel already ate my two clowns, just wanted to make sure he doesnt eat coral.hes alright with the other fish ive got right now.Ill just make sure I dont get small fish he can eat.LOL! Thanks for the advice!

rebecca
07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
does anyone know how big the eel will get? and do yall know why my big-eyed squirrel fish goes bright red at night? its cool but its never done that before untill the last 6 months.The squirrel is almost as old as the tank.It was one of the first in there

J&A Timberlake
07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
The Squirrel fish will eat inverts too fyi. Looks like a clean up crew may not be an option for your tank. I do apologize, but when I offered the possibility of a few corals, I was under the assumption that you had a "reef safe" set up. It really sounds more like your tank would be best as a fish only with live rock tank as you have a coral aggressive fish and several invert enemies. I could still offer you a gsp frag if you would like it, but I'd feel best not sending the polyps to a reef were they face eminent death. I hope you understand. let me know if you are still interested in some gsp. This usually works pretty well in that type of tank as it can provide some texture and color to the rocks.

PuD
07-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Here's a link to some info about the eel
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+135&pcatid=135

J&A Timberlake
07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I've hear that the eels can reach about a foot and a half long with a diameter of about 3 inches. but you may want to google that one and surf the net as I'm sure there are varied opinions.

rebecca
07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
O i understand.Ive got two crabs in the tank already.No-one really bothers them.Ive got everyone fat and happy.But I really do understand! No problem.Thanks tho.

rebecca
07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
could i maybe get hard coral? would that be better instead of polyps?

Git_r_done2x
07-20-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a frag of hollywood stunner chalice that you can have. Just lmk if you want it and we can figure the rest out.

Murfman
07-20-2011, 01:25 PM

What kind of lighting do you have?

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9698-Frags

J&A Timberlake
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Sorry, i don't keep any hard corals. But Murphman's prices and quality are superb. And the free frag of hollywood stunner from Git_r_done2x should be safe too.

rebecca
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks Git_r_done! I would love to have it! As long as my others wont eat it.I dont wanna kill anything.

O and murfman not sure what my lighting is.

rebecca
07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks timberlake! Yall have been a big help!

Murfman
07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks Git_r_done! I would love to have it! As long as my others wont eat it.I dont wanna kill anything.

O and murfman not sure what my lighting is.

A lot of what decides what corals you can keep depends on your lighting. Stronger lighting allows you to keep harder corals. I run LEDs on my tank but they put out enough to keep Stony corals. If you are using florescent type bulbs, then you would probably be better off with Zoanthids or Large Polyped Stony. Here is another question, when was the last time you changed out your light bulbs?

rebecca
07-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi just found out iv got florescent on my tank. but i also have blue leds.not sure if they would give off enough light though.however i will change lighting if need be.

rebecca
07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
oh I found out some interesting info on my eel! Hes not really an eel at all! Hes a dottyback! Sorry just thought that was interesting.lol

Murfman
07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi just found out iv got florescent on my tank. but i also have blue leds.not sure if they would give off enough light though.however i will change lighting if need be.

Blue leds as in a 20K led unit or just a few leds for moonlights?

rebecca
07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
its two strips of just blue moonlights.

Murfman
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
its two strips of just blue moonlights.

That is just gonna give you a lil color. What kinds of corals are you looking at keeping?

rebecca
07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
idk.i wanted somethig that is ok with my eel and squirrelfish.dont want them to eat it.as soon as i get m othe 55 gallon up and running that will be stictly a reef tank.o aggressie fish.but i would lke t hav some color in my aggressve tank.i bouht "live" rock but its not.it just grows algae.i was looking for something a little more vibrant.wha do u suggest?

rebecca
07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
sorry darn fat finges!

Murfman
All is going to depend on what kind of tank you want to have. You can have softies, hard corals, mix. All that will depend on your lighting and water flow. You need to decide and then gear your tank toward that goal.

rebecca
blah! told ya

notxes11
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
oh I found out some interesting info on my eel! Hes not really an eel at all! Hes a dottyback! Sorry just thought that was interesting.lol

I had a "green wolf eel" for a long time! Alot of fun. Very social.

rebecca
07-30-2011, 06:49 PM
he is very social! he is now taken to being petted.lol.he loves people! and now that weve got the whole feeding situation undercontrol hes great!

rebecca
08-14-2011, 09:02 PM
hey yall!sorry been awhile.crazy busy! hey git-r-done u still got that coral frag? how is every one?

Git_r_done2x
08-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I do just let me know when you want it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk