PDA

View Full Version : LFS in town

jasonp87
05-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Hello, I'm just getting started with the hobby of marine fish keeping and was wondering what local marine fish stores we have in the Springs. I have been to Seascape several times and really like the people over there but I'd like to know if there are others out there and would like to check them out. If you could let me know the names and general locations of other stores that would be great. Thanks.

xsocali
05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
There is Mr Aqua on Fillmore just west of Nevada and Fishy Business on Maizeland just east of Academy.
Check out the Petco on North Powers and Briargate for some great prices on fish.

irishguy24
05-14-2011, 09:53 PM
As far as LFS like Cali said those are the only 3 in town, all are really good stores

jasonp87
05-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks Cali and Irish guy. What is this blue diamond aquatics I keep hearing about? Are they just online or are they not in the springs?

Gomojoe
05-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks Cali and Irish guy. What is this blue diamond aquatics I keep hearing about? Are they just online or are they not in the springs?
I believe she operates out of her house here in the springs. Specializes in invertabrates.

the haj
05-15-2011, 08:43 AM
In my opinion your best bet would be to visit them all. Some may have what you need and others have their own niche. You may be suprised and find something you might not have expected. It is always good to check with the club sponsors before ordering online as the will probably have what you are looking for.

jasonp87
05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I planned to visit them all I just only knew about seascapes. Checking with the club sponsors is a good idea too. Are they all local and online or out I'd their houses?

Murfman
05-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Jason, if you want to take a ride, there are also several good local fish stores in the Denver area. Tell us, what are you looking for?

jasonp87
05-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Well I'm just getting started so I wanted to start with easier hardy fish. Just a FOWLR tank, 55 gal for now. I was thinking a couple clowns for the color and my son loves those. The main thing is that I like knowing what is out there and where I can go.

Murfman
05-15-2011, 10:04 AM
word of advise. Quarentine everything you put in your tank. It sucks adding a nice fish only to find out it has a disease and wipes out $$$$$ of your other fish! Aquamart is the only LFS that I know of, locally that does a QT on their incoming livestock. Even though they QT, they only do so for 7-10 days.

jasonp87
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Standard qt is at least 14 days isn't it? Where is aquamart?

irishguy24
05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
I normally go for 4 weeks

rmougey
05-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Standard qt is at least 14 days isn't it? Where is aquamart?

There is no 'standard' QT. Each critter has differing requirements and some stores are more proactive than others. There are several stores that QT including Aquamart, Neptune's and Elite Reef (all in Denver).

The purpose of QT is to acclimate the critter to captivity and ensure it's feeding, provide prophylactic treatment based on where the fish originated (Captive bred, wholesale chain and time in store) and to treat for obvious disease should it be required in the 3-6 week QT period.

As Murf said, everything should be QT'd. I've met many folks who claim that more fish die in QT than when they just dump them in their tanks. I submit that those folks simply don't have stable QT systems or know how to QT. It takes work......

Pride of the rockies
05-15-2011, 04:34 PM
While in denver check out premiere fish and reef, Will does extensive QT and won't sell unless your system is ready and the fish is ready. Super smart guy to ask questions to as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Gomojoe
05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Where do you visit them? Heard it is out of some warehouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmougey
05-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Premier does hours by appointment as I understand it. They concentrate on their service accounts but also sell from their warehouse facility. He has lots of used goods in stock as well as new stuff. Hard to find in an industrial area though.

jasonp87
05-17-2011, 12:23 PM
What about quarantine of inverts? Ive never read or heard anything about that.

irishguy24
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Just acclimate them over about an hour and they should be good to go

Pride of the rockies
05-17-2011, 06:58 PM
What about quarantine of inverts? Ive never read or heard anything about that.

The invert I've ever seen that had anything wrong was some peppermints with isopods attached, it was really noticeable though. You visually inspect clams for pyramid snails and brush them off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Martin's Reef
05-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Just acclimate them over about an hour and they should be good to go

+1 with the exception of corals should be dipped and qt also. If not qt, at least dipped.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sweat044
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Lots of good info. I am in the Springs also. Maybe we can help eachother along the way and get into the hobby together.