PDA

View Full Version : what goes with...

Jadam3085
05-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Okay, I know this is a newbie kinda question, but I've been spending a few hours trying to find all these little compatibility charts and it's not being entirely conclusive.. I'm setting up my predator tank so I'm looking at fish I would never have had since I've always gone with more peaceful and generally reef safe fish.. That said- This is for my 125tall planted tank with a couple of larger rocks and plenty of caves and holes and a 3-4 inch sandbed.

Big Anemone Hermit Crab
Spider Decorator Crab
Reef Lobster
Sea Biscuit
Urchin
Bunches of turbos

The first two are the ones I'm concerned about - I got them from trish and I already find them super fascinating, the tank feels awesome without fish already. (I don't care too much about the turbos, they just been pissing me off knocking everything over in my other tank so now they're all here instead)

My original intent was a predator tank but now with those guys, that rules out puffers and triggers and some of the meaner wrasses... or does it?.. Has anybody had any luck with that combo with any types of triggers or puffers? I just really want some fish with a lot more personality- the reef safe guys act kinda brainless most of the time.

I'm thinking now a maroon clown, and a lion, and it was going to be a puffer and a trigger (I'm assuming an eel really wouldn't work with those guys? I saw the video of a snowflake going after a decorator pretty bad) but I'm kinda unsure, any suggestions, ideas, etc. or any good substitutes?

J&A Timberlake
05-11-2011, 07:26 AM
John, your idea sounds pretty awesome actually and though i didn't have any input (leaving that to the more experienced enthusiast) I wanted to request a few pics. A 125tall planted with larger rocks and caves and a 3-4inch sand bed... I'd love to see it.

torquehound
05-11-2011, 07:41 AM
The eel should be fine. snails and crabs will meet certain death quickly with addition of triggers. My puffers never messed with much, but they were well fed and I never tried much other than a couple turbos which the trigger took care of.

Jadam3085
05-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Timberlake, I dont know if the photos really live up to expectations, but this is what I have so far. The little gsp below the plants is actually my decorator crab, didn't take him more than a few hours to start blending in pretty good.

The eel should be fine. snails and crabs will meet certain death quickly with addition of triggers. My puffers never messed with much, but they were well fed and I never tried much other than a couple turbos which the trigger took care of.

As for the eel.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855QNjfVziY
Every time I search compatibility I keep finding results revolving around this, The video doesn't show the demise of the crab which I think the puffers might end up doing soon enough in that tank anyway, but I'd hate for the nocturnal eel to get the guy when I'm not watching.. Am I just blowing this out of proportion or....? Honestly I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I think I like this crab more than I like an eel, but if I can have both, that would be super awesome.

Based on what I've read and what your saying, I tend to agree too about the triggers and my giant hermit and the decorator crab. Aren't there less aggressive triggers though that still have a personality? I know it always depends on the fish itself but I'm kinda holding my breath for something like that out there.. As for puffers, I was thinking about the blue spotted puffer, something with a tiny beak that wouldn't have as good as a chance at biting onto a crab.. Mostly because those are real purdy too

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+232&pcatid=232

Id really like other suggestions for livestock too if possible since I don't want to get a few things and then realize theres something better out there that isn't compatible with that I'm already wanting to add..

Jadam3085
05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Oh yeah, thanks a ton for the input thus far!

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/Jadam3085/Predator%20tank/051111094455.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/Jadam3085/Predator%20tank/051111094512.jpg

rekn
05-11-2011, 10:31 AM
ime, big animals like turbos are crawling bull dosers to planted tanks. plus, they can munch down alot of what youre trying to grow.

that goes for most urchins and crabs too

Jadam3085
05-11-2011, 10:45 AM
ime, big animals like turbos are crawling bull dosers to planted tanks. plus, they can munch down alot of what youre trying to grow.

that goes for most urchins and crabs too

very true, but I got the turbos out of my frag and reef tank.. I'd much rather put them in my planted tank than my coral tank, I was getting reeeeally P-O'ed about the turbos knocking over and killing frags, and if they turn into a meal for a predator eventually, then it's an expensive meal, but still a ton cheaper than what I've already lost from them dozing over my corals... Besides, if they end up eating my plants too quick, I have my sumps that I can always pull more from anyway

honoreetamore
05-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Wow! Looks nice so far dude!!! Keep an eye on that gorg... thought you were putting it into your reef lol They like low-moderate light and moderate-high indirect flows. And as far as triggers, you can always try a Pink tail or a Blue Jaw. They are both supposed to be the most "reef safe" triggers - the blue being slightly better of the two but I have seen Pink tails kept successfully in full reefs - Murf has one in his 300 gal reef. I know we talked about larger fish that are "reef safe".. such as you wished you coudl have angels... The only ones I know of taht are considered truely "reef safe" are those in the Genicanthus family. They are the most beautiful ones, but there are some really nice ones... I like the Bellus females personally :) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+18+2923&pcatid=2923

Hope that helps dude! keep the pics coming!