PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk PAR 38s

BRuby
04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I am thinking about putting a tank on my bar similar to calvin415's old tank. Not as big of course. Anyway, my question is this. Can I just put the par 38 bulbs into the pendant lights that are currently hanging over the bar?

the haj
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
What is the distance from the bottom of the fixture to the tank? Also what kind of inhabitants are you planning on keeping in there?

BRuby
04-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Haven't decided yet. I just want to know if I can put the bulb in a regular socket.

irishguy24
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
the par 38's should have a regular light bulb end(eddison) which means they should screw right into the regular socket, u just might get a spot light effect depending on the hieght

Murfman
04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Ecoxotic sells PAR 38 bulbs for aquariums. You can always use a goose neck and extend the bulb downward.

Reefkoi
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I sell the cheapest PAR 38 i believe :D and its got a tiny fan built inside of it :)
Depending on the size of the tank though it will take a few, maybe 2?
What are the dimensions?

BRuby
04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
well, scrap that idea since i bought the 180 gallon that was listed today. Now I need to think about lighting it. Chris, I may want to do some of your LEDs. How many would I need for a 72" tank. And what would it cost me?

JCantu31
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
reefkoi....how much do you sell the par38 for.

Gabe
04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Ecoxotic sells PAR 38 bulbs for aquariums. You can always use a goose neck and extend the bulb downward.

The Exoxotic PAR 38 is exactly the same bulb that nanotuners sells, but $30 more (33% more expensive). FWIW if you others were shopping around for them and weren't sure. All PAR 38s are not equal in terms of watts and LEDs used though.

Reefkoi
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
You'd need 3 fixtures for a 72" long tank.........

I sell the "fan cooled" PAR 38 for $59 heres a link to buy : http://reefkoi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=2066&zenid=447abe3a75e81491cda102aad6550d47

C

irishguy24
04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
My 72 inch tank had 2 120w LEDs over i, no noticeable shadows or dark spots in the tank, and I liked it .

irishguy24
04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Check murfmans build thread for par readings, he runs 3 on a 300 gal and I'm gonna try 2 over my 250, mainly cause of where my over flow is

Reeflextion
04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I am running 3 like Murph's and Lance's over my 125 and will be moving them to my 220 when completed. Depending on the height off the water can determine 2 or 3 units. At the height I am running them and the best position in the tank, i had darker spots starting on the ends of the tank when running just two (not a major issue on the ends). I intially thought 2 would be fine for my 125, and very well could have been, but the move to the 220 (the depth of the tank) pushed me to get a 3rd.

BRuby
04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Do you guys (and gals) think three evos would be better or like 12 par 38s? I think the money is about the same once I find a way to mount the 38s. The new tank has a canopy so I could just mount to it. I found a thread on RC that talks about plug in track lighting, that seems simple enough. What do you think?

irishguy24
04-22-2011, 06:32 PM
I am running 3 like Murph's and Lance's over my 125 and will be moving them to my 220 when completed. Depending on the height off the water can determine 2 or 3 units. At the height I am running them and the best position in the tank, i had darker spots starting on the ends of the tank when running just two (not a major issue on the ends). I intially thought 2 would be fine for my 125, and very well could have been, but the move to the 220 (the depth of the tank) pushed me to get a 3rd.

the depth shouldnt have mattered....Murph's tank is just as deep as my 250, and 2 foot longer, so two should space me just fine, mines an in wall though so i dont have anything other then lights over the tank....might make a slight difference, and i guess it depends on ur euro bracing too, mine was straight glass so i didnt loose anything in the center of my 125, 3 on that seems like it would have been over kill

irishguy24
04-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Do you guys (and gals) think three evos would be better or like 12 par 38s? I think the money is about the same once I find a way to mount the 38s. The new tank has a canopy so I could just mount to it. I found a thread on RC that talks about plug in track lighting, that seems simple enough. What do you think?

were u still talking about doing them as a pendent? cause just having to add that many hanging pendents over the tank with the re-wiring of it seems like it would run more, then again u could always try some koi's high watt evo's, would probably get alittle more spread out of em

BRuby
04-22-2011, 07:12 PM
no, this is just plug in track lighting. basically just 5 or 6 sockets strung together that you just plug into the wall. I will look for the thread again. the thread even had part numbers from lowes. seems like it would be a cool way to do it. I could aim them however I wanted and mix the 14 and 20ks to get whatever look you want.

irishguy24
04-22-2011, 07:17 PM
no, this is just plug in track lighting. basically just 5 or 6 sockets strung together that you just plug into the wall. I will look for the thread again. the thread even had part numbers from lowes. seems like it would be a cool way to do it. I could aim them however I wanted and mix the 14 and 20ks to get whatever look you want.

u would just have to check the breaker each time u added on that way....the circuit will only handle so much before it trips the breaker

Reeflextion
04-22-2011, 07:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the depth shouldnt have mattered....Murph's tank is just as deep as my 250, and 2 foot longer, so two should space me just fine, mines an in wall though so i dont have anything other then lights over the tank....might make a slight difference, and i guess it depends on ur euro bracing too, mine was straight glass so i didnt loose anything in the center of my 125, 3 on that seems like it would have been over kill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed that 3 pendants over 125 is kind of overkill but the two cross braces across the 125 themselves caused shadows in the tank as they are black and not clear. Depth of tank matters when looking at the PAR on the sand bed. The higher the lights are set above the tank, the greater the spread of the lighting but assumeably the lower the PAR readings on the sand bed (per the reference to Murph's build and PAR readings). When i was using two, my lights were set 6"'s above the water (more then likely way too low but the room above the tank required it). If set higher, then the light would dispurse over a greater area reducing the visable signs of dark spots on the ends as I referenced.

Reeflextion
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I would think the circuit could probably take it depending on what is currently being run upon it (like a fish tank) since LEDs draw less power. I would think that these would pull less wattage than an equivalent set of t-5s or metal halides.

Murfman
04-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Chris has a new light too, called the Evolution Skinny. Looks like they will be great for filling in dark areas, between fixtures.

BRuby
04-22-2011, 08:13 PM
i was also wondering about the "hybrid" fixture on his website. looks like i might only need two of those

BRuby
04-22-2011, 08:55 PM
anyone know anything about the eco ray 60d fixtures. they look pretty sweet.

Reefkoi
04-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Evo Slim actually Paul ;) They are similiar to the reefbrites, basically a fanless aluminum strip light.

The ecoray is only 60watts I believe.......I could br wrong but I think they have high par because they run 100% focus lens to increase PAR but the spread also becomes very narrow when doing that. My hybrid has some lens' and they are a lot more intense but since I do partial 30 degree and partial 120 degree you still get good spread. I run a single 200w hybrid over a 48" x 45" <roughly> frag tank. If mounted high enough you could use 2 of them on a 72" long tank for sure!

Remember all of the chinese fixtures out there share the same metal case but the internal components and LED colors are all different, for instance the earlier ones we made had driver which took forever to light the leds, the new ones are very fast, also the fans on some are very very loud, ours are nice and queit. Anotherwords everyone copying my 85-34 <20K> light doesn't have the same light I sell, may look the same but color and quality is different.

Anyway, enough of the sales pitch haha I have never thought about stringing a bunch of PAR 38's together like that, never have seen a tank like that either but in Japan they have been big into the spots for years so you might be onto something!!

Chris

BRuby
04-22-2011, 09:13 PM
chris, will you be around tomorrow? I would like to talk to you about the lights and pick up something colorful for my moms tank for an easter present.