PDA

View Full Version : algae turf scrubber??

bandr1002
04-07-2011, 01:53 PM
so i have a ? about the ATS....
Paul i was reading your thread started on this and thank you greatly for it!
I am getting a 90 gal RR tank on sat. and it does come w a skimmer, but i am not sure that i want to use it (may be cheap). does the ATS in fact replace the need for a skimmer? if so, y are more people not getting into a DIY ATS. According to the article in Pauls thread you need no skimmer when you have an ATS...... the chemistry all makes sense as far as what the algae does to the system. also, i am (as always) on a limited budget, so i am wondering if maybe someone could show me exact details to a cheap ATS. I am needing more detail as far as plumbing. I am going to be putting it in the sump. As soon as the tank arrives and i get measurements i will fill you all in on how much room i have to work with.

is there anyone on these forums who is running the ATS w/out a skimmer?
does the ATS mean that i will not need to add the corals food from Kent?

calvin415
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm running both, but I will say the only thing I can get from my skimmer right now is a little left over food the fish don't eat...

This might help...
http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/index.php

bandr1002
04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
thanks for the link.... my ? is this
when building one can i plumb the tank down to it (if that makes sense lol) from the intake have an elbow that goes straight across and let the water go down the ATS from there? hang the screen directly over the sump, and how far should the screen sit above the water line? or should it sit in the water about an inch or so? also, What about bubble in the DT is there any as a result of the ATS if i go this route?

Murfman
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
thanks for the link.... my ? is this
when building one can i plumb the tank down to it (if that makes sense lol) from the intake have an elbow that goes straight across and let the water go down the ATS from there? hang the screen directly over the sump, and how far should the screen sit above the water line? or should it sit in the water about an inch or so? also, What about bubble in the DT is there any as a result of the ATS if i go this route?

You need 1 sq inch for every gallon, minimum. For a 90 gallon you could go 9 x 10 and be done or your could go 4.5 x 20 and get the same effect. Yes you can plumb off the main tank and use a 90 to supply water to the TAS. You just want to be able to turn it off when you clean the TAS. You can go as deep as you want on it, as long as you have 90 sq" minimum.

calvin415
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
You need 1 sq inch for every gallon, minimum. For a 90 gallon you could go 9 x 10 and be done or your could go 4.5 x 20 and get the same effect. Yes you can plumb off the main tank and use a 90 to supply water to the TAS. You just want to be able to turn it off when you clean the TAS. You can go as deep as you want on it, as long as you have 90 sq" minimum.

Should clarify, that's 90 sqin if you are lighting it from 2 sides... Else you'll need double that lit from 1 side.

Redside
04-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Eric, great link to the ATS site. It helped me make up my mind on putting one together for the 125g.

calvin415
04-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Glad it helped, I've never used one before but wow what a difference it has made for me. I set mine up shortly after my tank cycled, and it was like a sponge for would be diatoms. While I had stuff in the tank, my clean up crew mowed through it in 2 days! I've never had a tank so clean so soon! Can't wait to see what the future holds, I get to scrape the screen tomorrow so I guess it's a start. Lol!

normanviking
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
I want to try this on my next setup. I remember when Paul and Tim first did theirs. I like the natural and inexpensive, but effective filters.

calvin415
04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
DAN!!!! Good to hear from you bro! How is life? You lookin to setup another tank???

Murfman
04-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I want to try this on my next setup. I remember when Paul and Tim first did theirs. I like the natural and inexpensive, but effective filters.

He lives, he lives!!!!!

normanviking
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Ya ya, I am alive. I am still in Iraq. With a new, better company. Can come home sooner now. lol I still have that 2 foot cube. I want to turn that into a SPS tank when I get home. I have been trying to research the latest and greatest. I forgot all about the ATS. I am glad I bumped back into this. When ever I do another big tank I think I am going to try another Carlson surge device too.

normanviking
04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I just found this cool video of a different type of ATS. Santamonica posted this and a bunch more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJxzeAgOS_M&feature=related

Here is a link for on for sale, but he also has the plans and parts of how to DIY.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/santa-monica-algae-scrubbers/56163-santa-monica-100-acrylic-scrubber.html

notchback5.0
04-11-2011, 08:11 PM
so how long does it take you guys to clean the TAS, and how often? With the larger tank, being set up soon, I have been thinking of doing one of these, but I am not really sure I would notice an improvement over my current system. I dont currently run a skimmer, and havent now for over a year. I havent noticed anything detrimental at all, I am still doing small water changes about every 9 months, and havent lost anything in a very long time, and all my levels are still 0. About the only thing I do is change a sock filter once a week. Are there nutritional benefits or some type of positive affect it has on the tank?

Redside
04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Well, looks as if there's going to be a lot of ATS's going in. I've started the design work for one to go on the 125g. We've never used a skimmer on the 20g and had planned not to use one on the 125g. All I've read about ATS's is that a skimmer is not really needed with them. And since we keep softies and LPS a "dirty" water tank is not necessarily a bad thing. I guess the thing I'm concerned about is "natural" food for the Angel and Blennie Hill since the ATS does so well at keeping algae in check in the DT.

normanviking
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Here is Santamonica's website. ATS overload. http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/