PDA

View Full Version : Refugium question

Jadam3085
03-22-2011, 03:25 AM
I'm setting up my fuge today and was just wondering something.. I have been using sand substrate, but its this thin heavy stuff and I'm pretty sure isn't worth its weight in snot.. Is there a reason that I shouldn't try using the little ceramic cheerios as substrate? I'm thinking of using that and putting my spare shells all on that. Rocks with plants on all of that. Ideas?

calvin415
03-22-2011, 08:16 AM
It's all personal preference, I don't bother with sand in a fuge... I figure I have sand already in the tank and find little benefit to having more in my sump.

JLAURENCE32
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I think the larger the substrate the more waste it will accumulate. I'd use either a carribean type sand, one that's heavy enough to stay settled but is fine enough that waste won't filter in, or no sand at all, so you can syphon and keep clean. That's the problem with Bio-ball type stuff. They just collect waste inside that can't be cleaned and cause more harm then good.

Murfman
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Fuge is just going to collect stuff anyway. unless you are going deep sand bed, just a waste.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

reef diver
03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Fuge is just going to collect stuff anyway. unless you are going deep sand bed, just a waste.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

+1 Just go Rock rubble and macro

Jadam3085
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I ended up just using a few inches high of those ceramic cheerio things for the wet-dry as substrate, a layer of seashells and old snail shells I had laying around and then some live rock. The live rock is still covered in some macro since it was in my old sump. I'd use rubble but I didn't feel like going at it all day with my hammer and chisel to take a rock into pieces ;P It seems to be working alright so far anyway