PDA

View Full Version : Buying Live & Base Rock tips

aarond21
02-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Just looking for some tips for myself and others that are in need of rock. I'm curious about peoples preferences for their rock. Like type and all that. I know theres quite a few different kinds out there. Also curious where people get their rock from on line or LFS. Just looking for some good tips before purchasing the rock for my new setups, and hoping to help out some others too.

Thanks,
Aaron

honoreetamore
02-25-2011, 10:12 AM
I tend not to bother with buying rock that doesnt have holes or something in it so they are a bit more visually appealing to me and my fish and crabs have places to hide... But other than I have not preferance over bali, figi, tonga branches is always cool tho. I do have some favs that i have in my tank and always buy whenever i see them! but dont know the name of the stuff... :( sorry

I also dont have much base rock at all bc they are normally just big hunks of solid rock. 1) not visually appealing - down right ugly in most cases and 2) end up costing more even at a lower price per pound bc the are SOLID ROCK! If i have base rock, it came as a package deal from someone selling off rock lol (which is the cheapest way to get rock btw - I think I saw someone just recently post up 120-130 lbs for sale at $2/lb... thats a good deal!)

So I guess any tips if i had one for newbie ppl looking for rock is:

~Hand pick your own, if you buy online you may save a lil coin but don't know for sure what you are getting. Spend the extra time digging in the trough/tank at whereever u are... dont feel like bc it takes you a half hour to pick out two darn rocks! lol You are gunna be looking at the everyday for a long long time!!! GET THE ONES YOU LIKE!!!
~Buy from everywhere and anywhere as long as you like the piece (sure you can get filler base rock, but at some point you are gunna more ur tank around and then that base rock is gunna show)
~Buy the prettier holey stuff even at the $2more a pound bc it will save you money in a way too bc the cheaper stuff is more solid = costs same or more for same sized rock.... So might as well give your fishies and critters a place to call home, Right?! :)
~OH! and ever as far as base rock goes... there is diff types... a bumpy like one that looks liek a bunch of white clay BB pellets mushed together... and their is the real solid solid pieces .... if you do buy base rock - go for the more poreous BB pellet like one!!!!! lol This type holds more good bacterias etc bc of the tiny holes... and since our live rock acts as a second filtration system to our sump/fuge's... means better filtration too.

Hope that helps u a lil!!!!

calvin415
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
For what it's worth, I've started using Marco Rock... It's cheaper, lighter, and dry (even lighter so you don't pay for water weight), plus it has great shapes. I then seed it with a piece or two of live rock; the bacteria will colonize and turn the Marco back into live rock. The biggest plus side to doing this IMO is that as long as the rocks you seed with are clean, you should be able to avoid any unwanted hitchhikers or pests...

-HTH

Murfman
02-25-2011, 10:59 AM
If you have the patience that Eric mentioned, I would do the same thing. BRS sells the same kind of dry rock too.

aarond21
02-25-2011, 04:00 PM
What about this "Flordia Reef Rock"? Anyone know about it?

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=135&category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

jjmoneyman
03-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I just go 100 pounds from them and it is great, filled with tons of holes.