PDA

View Full Version : Blue legged hermit crabs

helpwithhealing
02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I ordered a bunch of hermit crabs in the last group buy. Pretty much every day I see one or two of the blue legged ones out of their shells dead. I haven't seen any of the other hermits like that. Are the blue legged ones just more fragile than the others? Can anyone help me understand what is going on?

hooked
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
What you are probably seeing are the remains of their exoskeleton after a moult. They do look like complete crabs that are dead.

Redside
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Mine molt all the time it seems. Make sure you have a supply of empty shells for them to move to. The ones I have seem to prefer the large Florida Cerith shells.

honoreetamore
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Ya... well if their numbers are depleting you are having the same experience I did with the nasty lil buggers!!! Mine would rip each other out of their shells (with a couple DOZEN empties in there mind you so it wasnt liek they needed em and they were being well fed! trust me!).... but my husband can even be my witness... I would pull a pile of the lil a-holes apart bc of fighting all the time! One time I remember a pile of 5 or 6... all of them except one was dead or died shortly after I stopped their fighting bc of wounds.
They are pretty much the top most agressive "reef safe" hermit you can have... and i use the term "reef safe" lightly. They are in fact safe for your reef fish and corals - other hermits and snails however.... not so much!

I refuse to have them in my reef tank now. Out of the 50 or so I had bought (not to mention countless snails that they ate) before I decided they are just too mean... I only have 3 left. They are in my nem tank. (used to be five in there... you can guess what happened!)

barryfish
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
the hermits that come from tx down at the coast are reef safe but i have to say way more aggresive then blue legs. they grow to the size of a baseball if they can find a shell big enough and they eat each other and fish and snails. i don't have any blue legs in my tank all reds for me haha

rekn
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
the hermits that come from tx down at the coast are reef safe but i have to say way more aggresive then blue legs. they grow to the size of a baseball if they can find a shell big enough and they eat each other and fish and snails. i don't have any blue legs in my tank all reds for me haha

those gulf hermits get gigantic and arent reef safe just from their size

mike_d8505
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
glad I read this I was going to buy some today thanks guys.