PDA

View Full Version : brine shrimp

Jadam3085
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I was curious about using brine shrimp in my sump to compliment the pods... I spoke with the guy that works the north petco and he was saying that used to be pretty good to feed his mandarin.. Any ideas? I found this website, but I'm sure theres better ones out there, or is it possible to get live brine that I can get locally?

http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/

My pod supply doesn't seem that great, I can usually spot a few with a flashlight when the lights are out, but not that many of them so I figured that this might help some with the feedings etc.

Murfman
02-03-2011, 09:05 AM
It is easy to grow BS, they don't take long to hatch. They don't provide too much nutrition though. Gut loaded BS are the way to go, but that takes time.

Jadam3085
02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Would a website like that one be the best way to order them? I'm assuming a good way of guy loading them may be by feeding them cyclo..?

Murfman
02-03-2011, 09:43 AM
IMO, I wouldn't waste my time with them. I'd pick up a bottle of Tigger pods, from Reef Nutrition, and dump some of that in your tank. They will reproduce and provide plenty of pods for your Mandarin. Just because you don't see the pods doesn't mean they aren't there. They hide a lot.

notxes11
02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I agree. It'll be more work than it's worth to keep them nutritionally sound. The brine shrimp are only nutritious when they first hatch and still have the yolk sack intact. Otherwise you will have to gut load them in order to keep them as a sufficient food supply for your livestock. Getting some tigger pods is going to be a more nutritionally effective way of sustaining pods in your system.

ReefJerk
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
It's pretty easy to grow mysis shrimp in your sump as well. Also, you can try to train your mandarin to eat pellets and frozen mysis. Melev had a page on his site about it.

THEJRC
02-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Brine shrimp have 0 nutritional value unless enriched (gut loaded) and a variety of nasties come from their culture IMHO unless absoulutely required as a food (in many breeding setups for instance) I would avoid them entirely. If your just looking at increasing bio-diversity in your sump you can pick up reef nutritions tigger pods, or alga gens reefpods product (good diversity there). What everyone needs to realize is that the pods that you can see with your naked eye are only a very small subset of what is likely in there and really, most of the larger pods in the hobby are harpacticoids and will cling to substrate and rock surfaces where you cant see them. General rule, if you can see one or two you probably have thousands. I wouldnt lose sleep over it unless you have particular livestock that feeds only on live feeds that is displaying ill nutrition.

A better bio-diversity trick:

Pick up a few peices of live rock from here and there on occasion and plop em in your sump. Guess where all those pods come from?

holdorf333
02-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Or do a chaeto-ball medley and see if you can get a ball from people as they pare down their 'fuges. Just another idea.