PDA

View Full Version : Lighting choice

aarond21
01-14-2011, 12:24 AM
After much discussion with myself and the wife on what kind of tank setup were going for, we decided for a 75-90gal mixed reef. I have both these tanks sitting in my basement. I have almost everything I need for the mixed reef setup. I'm missing a good light though. I've been looking around and trying to decide what lighting setup I want. Being still green to keeping corals I have a few questions on what light to buy. Led's are too much right now so I've found a T5 light and a metal halide light. I currently have a coralife 24" 150w metal halide on my 55. I really like the way metal halide lights look. I've not had a T5 to compare it to though. Both lights are 48", the T5 is a current usa nova extreme pro for $175, the metal halide is a Hamilton for $150. Theres links below please tell me what one you guys think we should get.*

Thanks,
Aaron

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pet/2157756354.html

http://www.aquacon.com/NovaExtremePro.html

dane
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
I like that mh fixture
I personaly would want another actinic
and I would find out how old the bulbs are

aarond21
01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I also have found this LED light. It's 250 a piece there's two of them, but it's LED. Would this light be enough light for a 90? Would I have to add any other type of light to the setup? They say they're 120W led lights. But there's also someone sell 14k led pendants on our site here for 200. Im still keeping my options open, so any guidance would be well appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk225/68sting/img_0452.jpg

dane
01-14-2011, 10:00 AM
the $200 are all gone
and that led your looking at
what u need to find out about it is what's the spread of white to blue
single cord or dual are the whites and blues manageable meaning can u turn one off leaving the other color on or are they both on and both off
how many drivers are in them
and I dont think one would cover your tank fully you would need 2

Murfman
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I run 3 120 watt LED units over my 300. They are about 22K in spectrum. Got em from ReefKoi. I have a 250W HQI MH set up for sale for $125. It is not mine but you can read the specs here http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?8712-Aquaman-s-remaining-corals I can take pix of it, if you want.

JLAURENCE32
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Get the LEDs!

honoreetamore
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I like my LEDs as well... I have the same as Murf does from Reefkoi (the original evos that are 120watts and more blue than white - i presonally dont liek the ones taht are more white... washes out too much color IMHO)... and one other thing even my husband likes about my Evolutions lights is our electric bill!!!! LOL
I noticed in your first post you said LEDs are just too expensive right now... but really they pay for themselves in a very short time with no bulbs to break/replace. Setting aside replacing due to accidental damage - you are still looking at replacing the majority of lights bulbs every six months... meaning that cheaper fixture may end up costing alot more in a very short time....

With the $150 T5 fixture (no warrenty) it will be about $30 per bulb (i think that was seascapes price a while ago) x 6 bulbs = $180 every 6 months if they are the type that need replacing. Estimated grand total if you need to replace them as soon as you buy the fixture (or even within a couple months) = $330ish and $180 in bulbs annually (or more i kinda guessed on bulbs price for these, i have seen them go all the way up to $50 a bulb too!) then still add the electrical use you will have to pay monthly for 324watts.

With the $150 metal halide fixture (no warrenty) - i know MH bulbs needs to be replaced ev 6 months... 175watt 15k on marine depot sells for $80 each! x2 = $160 PLUS you now have two 110watt actinic VHO bulbs to replace too... prob run abotu $20-30 a piece... so another $40-60.... Estimated grand total here = $350-370 to start off and $200-220 annually and you still have to add in electrical use for 570 watts!!!!!

Now - just for comparison I am gunna use Reefkoi's Evolutions LEDs since they are ones most of us have and know about...
Evolutions - $299 reg price (but ask chris *reefkoi* if he has a sale/discount going on for SCMAS members) - 2 yr warrenty through him... no shipping off to china - NO bulbs to replace EVER! And their electrical use is 120watts per unit... the only thing is with these they only cover abotu a 2x2ft area.. so you would need two for your 90. If you and your wife would like to see them over a couple tanks you are more than welcome to stop by here.. Murf has always extended the invite for anyone to see his as well... :)
Bottom line with Evos are - youd need two, costing $600 upfront BUT that is all you will need to spend on them ever... and its 240watts usage for both

Just some thoughts for you.... Im sure you can guess which way I'd tell you to go! lol

Jadam3085
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
I wonder if reefkoi will ever have more of those lights. I've decided that I really need to upgrade from my hqi to leds. I got those nice coralife pro big nice ones but the cost of the bulbs just doesn't make it worth it.. Where do you go to find those kinda deals anyway? Ill be needing 4 of those systems for two separate 90 gallon tanks...

torquehound
01-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Chris brings them in, just shoot im a pm.

Jadam3085
01-17-2011, 11:30 PM
I'll pm him now then.. Reefkoi is chris, right? (sorry, im so new :-p)

torquehound
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Yep. That 's him.

honoreetamore
01-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I'll pm him now then.. Reefkoi is chris, right? (sorry, im so new :-p)

Or if you want to know faster, his website has his cell number on it... 719-491-1600

Jadam3085
01-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks, trish. He replied pretty quick to the pm though. I may wait a little bit until he gets some used ones back in stock.. Otherwise I'll just wait until I can save up a little more moolah.. Buying 4 at once is kinda pricey so if I do get too impatient I might have to just get 2 at a time.

honoreetamore
01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks, trish. He replied pretty quick to the pm though. I may wait a little bit until he gets some used ones back in stock.. Otherwise I'll just wait until I can save up a little more moolah.. Buying 4 at once is kinda pricey so if I do get too impatient I might have to just get 2 at a time.

Ummm.. Did you ask him if he normally gets used ones back in? From last time i talked to him when I had gotten mine, its kinda rare when someone dislikes them or he takes them back for some reason.... So idk if I would be holding my breath for that... Just sayin... could be wrong tho. lol Did u ask if he would be doing a sale again anytime soon? lol Thats what I would be hoping for... haha
Either way, I think it was worth the wait for me at least to save up for them. The 3 i got were my anniversary/birthday/xmas presents LOL Made it real damn easy for my hubby to shop for me!!!! lol

Jadam3085
01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Yeah, he was saying that hes not exepecting any soon so I'm just keeping my options open and looking around to see if I can find any other decent deals..