PDA

View Full Version : Cyno or what?

aarond21
01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Not sure what this is? Is it bad/good? How do I get rid of of it? Its on my sand and one of my rocks. Its purple and stringing like hair alage I guess.

Thanks,
Aaron

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/anmdaugherty/100_0723.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/anmdaugherty/100_0729.jpg

PuD
01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Looks like cyano to me.

hooked
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM
That's what it looks like. Here is a short link on how to handle the problem.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Red-Algae

Murfman
01-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Increase the flow across your sand. BTW, it too me 18 months for mine to go away.

hooked
01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I had a slight reccurence of cyano on my substrate for quite some time. I bought a diamond goby and he has kept my sand snow white since. It did look like a snow globe for about a week. Now it's all good.

barryfish
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
pulling mine out and killing the lights for 3days plus uping the flow killed my cyano

Dem.360
01-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Turned my lights out for 3 days also haven't seen any since

THEJRC
01-10-2011, 11:49 PM
before answering I noticed nobody asked how old the tank is, it's normal for a cyano bloom on initial setup!! (Shame on you guys!). Increased flow helps to reduce larger particulate from settling which will help, as well manual removal and reduction of nutrients will both be key players. If it is a newly established sand bed cyano is going to be a fact of life for a while until the meofauna and meoflora take hold.

I would ask, how old is this system and it's sand bed?

aarond21
01-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. My tank is about 4 months old now. I'm going to remove the stuff from the sand bed. But what about the rock should I just rip it off of trying suck it out on my next water change? I'm due this week for a water change. With the lights being out for 3 days or so. What about the corals in my tank, wouldn't that hurt them to be light less?

Dem.360
01-11-2011, 07:56 AM
The lights being out is just like having a few cloudy days in the ocean all my corals were fine and opened right up after turning the lights back on

Murfman
01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. My tank is about 4 months old now. I'm going to remove the stuff from the sand bed. But what about the rock should I just rip it off of trying suck it out on my next water change? I'm due this week for a water change. With the lights being out for 3 days or so. What about the corals in my tank, wouldn't that hurt them to be light less?

Use a turkey baster or low volume pump and just blow it off the rocks.

THEJRC
01-11-2011, 10:37 PM
turkey baste, and cut your light cycle a bit (you dont necessarily need to go to a full off for a few days). at 4 months cyano is pretty much the norm.

On the lights out harming the corals, bear in mind that light cycles in the wild are nowhere near as stable as we keep ours. Consider storms, overcast, etc. etc. a few days with lower or no light wont kill your reef.

shelby
01-14-2011, 12:07 AM
I fought this stuff for what felt like FOREVER in my mantis tank. Since I couldn't have any hermits/snails/any cleanup crew whatsoever, it was hard controlling certain things within the tank. Just be persistent and diligent about removing it. I think I had to suck it out and remove it with a toothbrush a good 10 times before it finally disappeared for good. It's only temporary, promise :)