PDA

View Full Version : Does Fishy Business in Colorado Springs give pretty consistently good advice?

helpwithhealing
12-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm very new to this adventure and I'm wondering, can I trust them or are they likely to just try and sell fish even if they are not a good combination for my tank?

honoreetamore
12-26-2010, 03:16 AM
honestly... well, let me put it this way (and this is good to do anyway/anywhere)... if u see something you like, remember the name, go home, do research on ur own first... then buy! lol

torquehound
12-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Very tactfully put dear Trish. That above all else, is freat advice. There are two stores in this town that I would trust what they say when it comes to saltwater. The others, not so much. I will as politely as possible say on this question, Trish gives good advice.

Bill M.
12-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I have frequented Fishy Business for the past five years. They have always helped me with everything I've neteded and giving me honest advise. They may not be as well stocked as some of the other reef stores in town, but hey have never steered me wrong.

iseedeadcorals
12-26-2010, 01:31 PM
they're nice people. they should be able to set you down the right path.

Gomojoe
12-26-2010, 05:21 PM
honestly... well, let me put it this way (and this is good to do anyway/anywhere)... if u see something you like, remember the name, go home, do research on ur own first... then buy! lol

I think Trish has the best idea on this one. I think most people would assume that fish store people are the experts, but I think the reality is that they end up dealing with our items in a much different manner than we would end up doing. Plus in most cases the people in this town own and work in their fish stores, so while they may be hobbiest I doubt they have a whole lot of time, nor the desire to perfect their hobby when they get home. So doing your research is key!

iseedeadcorals
12-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Im 100% sure they work towards perfection at home, from fishy to mr aqua to Neptune's.

Reefkoi
12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
yeah always research advice online afterwards..........if you see a lot of people online that agree or disagree then you know which way to go after that :)

C

epic.exposures
12-28-2010, 09:51 AM
They have always been good to me. THey helped me ALOT with my first tank setup. There inventory is not so great but it's a nice place to go for help with issues in the tank and pharmeceuticall supply. Sometimes they give advice on the cheap way of running a fish tank if you don't have a lot of money, but in the long run it will cost you more. I encourage you to visit several stores, ask the same questions and take the average of the advice given. Seascape Aquatics is a good place as well, Sage and Jim have a different personality and may apear they are angry when they are not. If you get to know them a little more youll understand their communication style. Sue has rescued me many times from total saltwater disaster over there. I like Neptunes realm for their coral choices but the owner is very hard nosed on how your fish tank needs to be setup for marine life. He dosn't like the fact that the salinity in a reef tank is higher than a fish tank. All in all, just remember opinions are like armpits.

BRuby
12-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I know that Neptunes and Seascape are "sponsors", but I always get great info from Mr Aqua. There have been several times that he has been the voice of reason and talked me out of buying stuff from his store. IMO he has by far the best livestock and he won't sell his new stuff for 2 weeks after getting it in.

TAllen
12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I have gotten good advise from fishy and never had any problems with anything I have bought. That is the same for all the stores in town.

shelby
12-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I love Fishy. I shop at ALL the stores, and find that no matter WHO you ask -- whether it's someone in store or someone on this forum -- you will get all kinds of answers, some of which may be conflicting, even from pros. Personally, I try to utilize all of my sources--in store, forum advice, google, and personal experience. I rarely just take one opinion and run with it (after all, would you really do that with ANY big investment?).

I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Aqua. He doesn't post his prices, which seems both odd & fishy to me, and I have gotten several fish from him that were diseased. I have never gotten ill fish from Fishy, though I know that most stores get their livestock from the same sources.

Fishy used to have some nice corals but lost them when their MH unit fell from the ceiling and electrocuted their open coral tanks. They've been recovering slowly, and will likely have more corals in the future.

I prefer to buy my cleanup crews from Fishy, because they charge HALF of what Seascape charges. Plus they occasionally have used equipment that you can pick up for cheap. Keith even placed a custom order for me for a lid that I couldn't find ANYWHERE else, even online, and the price was extremely fair.

My advice? Pick everyones' brains and especially advice online here and via Google. Don't blacklist a store just because some stranger on a forum had a bad experience there. After awhile you'll be able to form your own opinions and embrace each LFS (fish store) for its benefits over the others.

barryfish
01-02-2011, 11:26 PM
i have never had a bad experience with fishy or any other LFS's but i know that alot of locals don't like some due to experience's but to each his own. I'll continue to go were the price is the best and they have what i want. that goes for the petco's around town too. obviously if the fish is healthy.

rekn
01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
for quality go to reefkoi

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?8692-Cheap-5-packs-of-LPS-Polyps-GOING-FAST!!!!!!!!!!&p=103354#post103354

thats what his **** actually looks like.

for advice i would check the internet too and choose the medium of the extremes like some people put tangs in 40 gallons and some say not to in anything smaller than 500-in reality a 120 should be fine