PDA

View Full Version : ooooooooooooooops!!!!!!



dane
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
what was your biggest I should have known moment in this hobby?

lets let noobs be aware of before they make the same mistake.

however complex or minuscule it was, something you didn't know of and have learned the lesson from your experience

Gomojoe
12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Good post Dane!

I wonder what the underlining factor behind everyone's oops will be? My bet would be impatience! Everytime, something has gone wrong it has been because I didn't wait just a little longer or do a little more research. My biggest mistake thus far was to swap from a 46g to a 65g in a day into the same spot of carpet. This resulted in me rushing and making the most unorganized frustrating sump setup ever, that ultimately resulted in me not wanting to do maintenace. I definently think that patience pays off in the end!

Murfman
12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Mine was when I changed from using a 5 gallon bucket to a 32 gallon bucket for mixing salt. I realized my mistake when I was doing my 3rd water change and for the hell of it, decided to check my SG. It barely moved the needle on the hydrometer. What you say???? I checked again and looked for air bubbles in the swing arm area, still barely moved. I dumped it and checked my tank and the SG was down to 1.017. I ran to read the instructions on the IO bucket and it said 1/2 of a cup per gallon. I was mixing it correctly, IF I WERE STILL USING A 5 GALLON BUCKET!!!!! I was using 5 scoops per 30 gallons of water! Now I have a refractometer and mix it in 50 gallon batches..

calvin415
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
When I was 13 I put an anemone and seahorse in the same tank... I watched an anemone chase, catch, and eat my seahorse.

Slowest chase in the history of chases. ;)

dane
12-20-2010, 11:53 AM
never Would have thunk lol

one thing I wanted to add is everyone that views this should be able To have something to say
considering the hobby

ReefJerk
12-20-2010, 01:10 PM
My biggest oops was with carbon. Do not trust the store bought carbon instructions that says "rinse lightly". I put that crap in a filter sock and watched my entire tank get covered in charcoal dust. I lost just about every coral that was in my tank. Several nice size acros and encrusting montis that had been growing for over a year all died. Watching the flesh peel from a millepora skeleton is a horrible sight. In a matter of less than 24 hours, all I had was 180 gallons of stark white coral bones. That was the only time I ever considered getting out of the hobby. So, be sure to get the best carbon you can and rinse it until the water is clear before you use it.

GrassHoppa'
12-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Mine would be moving the 120 from the previous owners house without a clue of what I was doing. I took everything all the sand(not rinsed), rock, and water. By the time I put everything back in the tank looked like the darkest milk chocolate I've ever seen. And the smell was awful needless to say everything died. The end

Bill M.
12-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh man... where to begin...

I would never put an anemone in an aquapod with only slightly upgraded lights... died and poisoned my entire tank.

I would also never keep all the LS from a previous owner of a not really kept tank...thousands of bristle worms.

Learned these the hard way.

J&A Timberlake
12-21-2010, 12:57 AM
when i first started i topped off with saltwater for a few weeks and didn't have a clue why i got all that algae all of a sudden. I also used a packet of ph correcter from petsmart or petco or what not and just dumped it right into the tank. had all sorts of inside out softies. had to run to the nearest saltwater store and buy enough water to replace every drop. lol, ah... memories. plenty other mistakes along the road to where i am and i'm sure plenty mistakes to come.

Redside
12-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Not doing research has cost us more than any other mistake.
Buying corals on impulse and taking the salesman's word that "yes that will do just fine under PCs".
Trusting the GPH label on the RO/DI and going to bed.
Topping off with saltwater. This needs to be pointed out on any and every beginners forum. "Use RO/DI water to top off your tank".
Do not use a jury rigged ATO. Six gallons of top off water in a 20g tank, Not Good!

Murfman
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Trusting the GPH label on the RO/DI and going to bed.

I finally went to Lowe's and bought a $12.95 water detection alarm. I hadn't had a RO/DI spill in over a year and had 3 in 3 weeks. Since I bought the alarm, it has gone of twice and saved me 2 more huge messes. On a side note to that, a guy I work with just had the internal hose to his washer rupture and flood his basement with 4" of water(washer kept filling since it would never get up to the shut off float) $12.95 vs his 1K deductible........Cheap insurance, IMO.

epic.exposures
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Ive made a few mistakes, all of these lessons are from when I first started (during my first year inthe hobby)...

1.) Trusted the LFS who stated that a Sally lightfoot crab is a peacefull creature. After adding the crab my nudibranchs disappeared. My clown fish would stay in one corner of the tank and would not move. Sue from Seascape Aquatics than learned of my issue and rescued me by showing me the crab in the fishy book. I immediately gave him away.

2.) I purchased a piece of LR from a LFS with a piece of cool looking coral. I watched it grow and grow (about 3 inches around), and it started to multiply, than my yellow gobies died, took a pic to the LFS where I found out my cool coral was something called Aptasia. :(

3.) When I first got the tank I woud top off with salt water. my clown fish was breathing heavily when I discovered my salinity was VERY VERY high!

4.) Purchased a piece of uncured LR (I didn't know any better) that took over my tank with hair algae, after a few remedies and 3-4 weeks I got it to go away.

5.) Followed the advice of a LFS and took the cheap way of setting up a saltwater tank, cost me a lot of time and money in the long run. I now buy what I need no matter the cost.

Gomojoe
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Awesome first post Tim! Thanks for joining!

BRuby
12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
I allowed my teenage daughter to clean my tank. She evidently had perfume or gas or something on her hands. Everything you see in my avatar pic died within 24 hrs. Even the coraline stated to die. I lost roughly $4500 in livestock.

torquehound
12-21-2010, 07:59 PM
That one makes you cry for sure!