PDA

View Full Version : Distance of a light?

aarond21
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I just got a 175W MH light. Its got eye hooks for hanging it on it. I don't have a hood on my 55. I will be hanging the light from the celling. As of now the few corals I have are going to be on the right side of the tank. My question is how far does the light need to be from the top of the tank. The dimensions of the light are 16.5"L x 10.5"W x 6.5"H. Also how could I add a actinic light to the tank? Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,
Aaron

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/anmdaugherty/100_0708.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/anmdaugherty/100_0707.jpg

J&A Timberlake
12-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I say the distance above your water is going to depend on a few things. Perhaps type of corals and at what height they will be displayed. I have 2 250 watt metal halide lights sitting about 6 inches of the water in my 55 gallon. That gives me a good coverage in all areas of the tank and just the right amount of light for the corals I keep and their placement. I think trial an error has played a part on where I put my corals more than where I put my lights. All my lights including the actinics and moon lights are at about the same distance from the water because they are all in a hood. I dont have any suggestions on how to hang actinics, but i have some power compact ballast and actinic bulbs i could give ya in an old hood from an 80 gallon if it would in any way help out. (Not at all high quality, but free if it helps)

Also, wasnt sure if there was a glass cover or not on your MH i the poc, but that would also be something to consider. U dont want saltwater to splash directly onto that super hot bulb...bad news.

aarond21
12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Pm sent about the light/hood.

I'm only keeping softies. This is my first attempt at corals so Im sticking with the softies till I have a decent grasp of keeping them. There is no type of cover over the mh. Anything I can do about it not having a cover. Can I just have a piece of glass over it? I have a few frags on the sand bed I'm waiting till theyre stuck to my pieces of rubble rock to move them up on my rocks. I didnt want them to to fall and get stressed out being new to my tank.

J&A Timberlake
12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
replied to pm.
as for the cover on the light, i think it has to be tempered glass or it will just shatter when it gets too hot the same as the bulb would if it got splashed. i believe it would only be a couple bucks to order a piece the right size from most local glass companies in town.

torquehound
12-10-2010, 05:16 PM
It has to be tempered or it will explode about five minutes after you turn it on. Even without it getting splashed it will explode. Trust me. I tried non tempered twice to be sure it took less than ten minutes total.