PDA

View Full Version : Cycling from scratch

Redside
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I consider us beginners since the only other tank is the 20g and we started that with LR and LS and the cycle was quick and easy. The 120g we have started with dry sand and rock that was out of water for over a year.
We used NitroMax the first week and also the old water from changes on the 20g (6gals twice so far).
As of tonight the readings are;
Temp 78
Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite .25
These are after two weeks. Also have some green/brown algae forming on sand.
Is this "normal" for the time its been up and running. I assume with larger tanks everything takes more time for the cycle.
Any pointers from you folks with larger tanks would be great.
Thanks

JLAURENCE32
12-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Algae is a good sign things are moving along. Should be about two more weeks from here. You should see the nitrites skyrocket this week, then you'll be ready the next week.

calvin415
12-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Keep us posted, as I just did the same with my Dad's 225, Marco Rock, Dry Sand, and NitroMax. The the tank has cycled, but the water is still cloudy after 3 months... I don't know what is causing this. I've added filter socks, carbon, wet skimming, nothing is removing this stuff. I just took a piece of LR out of my tank and added it to his sump to see if there is some bacteria that might be missing, we'll see if we truely need LR to cycle a tank properly. Anyone have some chaeto/pods we can try adding?

Redside
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Our tank cleared up for the first few days and has now gotten cloudy again. Not to bad, but from the ends you see it. I was wondering if its caused from leaching of the dry rock and if it is would that be calcium clouding it? Would a calcium test show elevated levels if it is leaching from the rocks?

calvin415
12-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Same here... Been 3 months. Don't know what to make of it. :( Tank is 36" wide and tough to see the back, don't know what to make of it.

barryfish
12-08-2010, 09:18 AM
i had the same problem for about 3 months and i bought a magnum 350 canister. i know i know theres mixed reviews on it people don't like using canisters in marine tanks but it has cleared mine right up i just have to clean it like everyweek or every other week. but i still swear by mine. it did me wonders.

Murfman
12-08-2010, 09:26 AM
The cloudiness is from several factors. You have particulate floating in the water column. Being that you used all "dry" stuff, the particulate doesn't have bacteria colonizing it yet so it is too light to sink. You also might be having bacteria blooms and algal blooms making it difficult to see through the tank. I still have particulate in my tank, but it is because of the amount of flow and fish picking up sand and dropping it, wrasses doing their thing when they wake up and go to sleep.

If the water is greenish, it is algae in the column. What Barry said is a very good way of getting rid of loose particulate. Filter socks will too. I just set up a frag tank that runs off of one of my closed loop returns and you should see the detritus that is on the bottom of the tank already. I will end up using a filter sock on that inlet to get rid of some of that crap (pun intended).

calvin415
12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Paul, we've been running filtersocks on my Dad's system since we put water in it... Didn't pull out anything. Ran Carbon nada, wet skim no dice. Been 3 months now. We're hoping that adding LR and Chaeto in the sump will help.

JLAURENCE32
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Paul, we've been running filtersocks on my Dad's system since we put water in it... Didn't pull out anything. Ran Carbon nada, wet skim no dice. Been 3 months now. We're hoping that adding LR and Chaeto in the sump will help.

Try a polyfilter? Is there fish in there?

calvin415
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Yep 3 fish, 2 corals, 3 shrimp, and a bunch of snails... Anyone have a filter we can try? Don't want to drop a grip without knowing if it will work...

kmauger1
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a canister filter if you would want to trade for some corals and maybe a little cash.

Redside
12-09-2010, 08:12 PM
The algae appears to grow before our eyes. Every time I walk by there seems to be more of it. Is this why they say to keep lighting to very short periods or not at all during cycle?
Parameters today:
Ph 8.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 10+
Nitrite 1.0
The tank has been clearing up. But then I moved a powerhead and one of the returns to get flow to some dead spots and whammy, snow storm!
Did something maybe should not of but we have a over abundance of Pulsing Xenia in the 20g. It was just a small lonely one and it does seem to be doing ok in the 120g. Also dumped a few of the asterinea from the 20g in too. They seemed real happy after two days.

barryfish
12-09-2010, 09:25 PM
you know i never did the turn the lights off while i cycled i just used the light cycle as normal like 8hrs

notxes11
12-10-2010, 08:19 AM
It's natural to go through an algae cyle when your starting. Just give it some time to settle in before you start to really fret :).

calvin415
12-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Tried the no light method; it doesn't work. Lit half my tank during the initial cycle, snot brown algea appeared, was eaten by the snails and then finally started looking good. I turned the lights on the other half only to have it go through it's own snot cycle. :( Just part of the process.

calvin415
12-10-2010, 09:35 AM
As for the cloud, I'm going to try plumbing a RO/DI canister running a 1 micron filter... Hopefully that will help collect this crap!

Redside
12-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Almost five weeks. Water has cleared a lot (except when Collin mucks about in the tank).
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite <1
Nitrate 0
Installed a bunch of Grape Caulerpa. Will be picking up some LR for the sump this week.
Caught a couple of Bristle Worms and some more asterinea stars and put in tank.
Would it be safe to put a fish in the tank at this time?

the haj
12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Ant reason why you used grape caulerpa?

Redside
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
It was a hitchhiker and does extremely well in our Fuge for the 20g. Grows at a good rate, does not go sexual and looks nice. Have never been able to keep Cheato anyway so we go with what works. And won't grow in the DT for some reason.

Murfman
12-21-2010, 11:42 AM
It was a hitchhiker and does extremely well in our Fuge for the 20g. Grows at a good rate, does not go sexual and looks nice. Have never been able to keep Cheato anyway so we go with what works. And won't grow in the DT for some reason.

Colin, Grape caulerpa does do sexual, if it feels like it is dying. Feather or sawblade caulerpa is a safer choice, IMO. http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsesectiongroups.php?SectionID=14

I think you could put fish in now but remember, the bio load is going to increase because the bacteria established is just sustaining what is in there now. Too many fish and the bacteria can't cycle it fast enough. Go slow.

Redside
12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
There is Feather in the Fuge too. Neither on has gone sexual on us yet. Guess its just very happy. Was going to get just one small fishy to start. Something that won't mind being alone for awhile. Any suggestions? Want to stay away from the sand sifting type for now.

Redside
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
We seem to have gotten a handle on the cloudy tank. Put a filter sock in last week and it's clearing up. Me seems to think the cloudiness was caused by algae blooms. The sock is pea green when I clean it, which is every morning or it overruns and defeats the purpose. Can't keep up:crazy: with the algae growing on the tank sides. I clean and 3 hours later it's back.

batman
01-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Where are the numbers at on the tank now?

Redside
01-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Temp- 79 to 80
Ammonia- 0
Ph- 8.2
Nitrates- 0
Nitrates- 0
Have not done a water change yet.
Started doing carbon two days ago and the water has cleared even more.