PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer plumbing question

karlinkelly
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm in the process of seting up a MRC external recirculating skimmer. In an effort to not add yet another pump to my system (already running 5, excluding the 2 in-tank powerheads,) is there any good reason to not run the skimmer feed off the output side of my UV Sterilizer? Skimmer return will be back to the same section of the sump the UV feed pump is currently running. Back-pressure in the UV sterilizer should be minimal.

Murfman
12-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Only drawback that I can see to that is the water is going to be a lot cleaner going in to the skimmer thus less skimmate. If you can feed the skimmer direct from the tank it would be best. That is how I had my recirc set up, when I was running it.

karlinkelly
12-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Only drawback that I can see to that is the water is going to be a lot cleaner going in to the skimmer thus less skimmate. If you can feed the skimmer direct from the tank it would be best. That is how I had my recirc set up, when I was running it.

The skimmer is actually fed off of an unfiltered pump right out of the intake section of my sump currently. I was hoping for more skimmate as a result of the newly dead organisms out of the sterilizer.