PDA

View Full Version : Help. Remora.

blue71
11-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I bought an AquaC Remora Pro, and I have had it running for a couple hours, but It hasn't done anything, is that normal? I'm running it with a maxijet 1200, is it too small or will it work temporarily? I ended up paying about $70 for the whole thing.

torquehound
11-27-2010, 07:04 PM
you need to get a real pump for it. The maxi jet won't even begin to push it the way it should be. I think you need more like 800gph not 250 or 300 like the maxijet.

blue71
11-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Alright, we"ll see. Lol. Its pulling skimmate out right now, but I'll definately upgrade in a month or two.

Colorado_NanoReef
11-28-2010, 07:53 AM
It will take a week or so for the skimmer to season itself. I used to have the hang on nano and now i have the 120 in my refug.

blue71
11-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Well, its pulling out really wet stuff fright now, so I moved the cup up. I bought it used, so it shouldn't have to burn off the chemicals, I just left it dirty, should I have cleaned it?

Gomojoe
11-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, its pulling out really wet stuff fright now, so I moved the cup up. I bought it used, so it shouldn't have to burn off the chemicals, I just left it dirty, should I have cleaned it?
Was the neck of the cup clean? You'll want that neck super clean and smooth. If it's not it will basically pop the bubbles before they have time to stick to all the DOCs and raise them to the top!

blue71
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Was the neck of the cup clean? You'll want that neck super clean and smooth. If it's not it will basically pop the bubbles before they have time to stick to all the DOCs and raise them to the top!
I'll go clean that...

shelby
11-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I had a Remora and I zero luck with it (with the Maxijet). I ended up throwing my POS Seaclone back in the tank and it started pulling crap immediately... which doesn't say much for the Remora. I agree with Torquehound though, I think what it really needs it a better pump and it will work fabulously. Good luck!

Gomojoe
11-28-2010, 02:09 PM
What size tank do you have it on?

blue71
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I was told it was an 80, but it has the same dimensions as a 90 gallon. So a 90 Gallon.

THEJRC
12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
before anyone jumps to conclusions let me pop some advice from someone who has had great luck with remoras

a larger pump will actually make it perform worse in many occasions.... and skimmate within a few hours is an unrealistic goal for any skimmer that is tuned properly

As stated before keep that neck clean thats rule #1.... use that brush they gave you during your water changes it takes all of two seconds.... second rule, get one of those cheap two dollar levels from home depot and super glue it to the cup lid (or just set it on there). keep that cup level!!! 90% of my issues with the remoras were caused by the cup not being level! Start with the cup set low, give it a week to settle in and then check your skim. If you feel it is too wet pull the cup up but no more than 1/4 inch at a time. eventually you'll get it down pretty easy.