PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Corals Mushrooms under Flouresents

aarond21
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm not too familiar with corals, but I do like them. I had only planned to have my new 75Gal as a FOWLR. But the more I read about certain corals and see pictures, I'm even more attracted to them. I only have about a year left in the army, then I'm more than likely moving so investing in a bunch of corals and stuff would be pointless to me as of now. Ive read that mushrooms, colt coral, and polyps are relatively easy to keep. Ive also read that they can be in a tank with florescent light. I'm just curious if this is true. I have 2 48" strip lights, one has a actinic 420 and the other is a 10000K, or at least thats what the packages say. I would like to introduce a few small corals such as mushrooms and polyps. But I also don't want to get these and they stand no chance in my tank. Just looking for opinions on this. The following link is one I read on keeping these corals.

Thanks,
Aaron

http://www.aquacon.com/Begcorals.html

aquaman2000
11-18-2010, 09:35 PM
The place to start would be water quality and chemistry. You will want to get your water parameters correct for keeping corals if they are not already. If you don't know, then they are not correct. You will need some test kits and additives in order to determine your levels and adjust them as necessary.

So you are looking at
pH : 8.3 to 8.4
Ca: 380 to 440 PPM
Alk: 3.0 to 4.0 Meq/L
Mg: 1350 to 1500 Meq/L
Sr: 7 to 20 Meq/L

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
They do not have to be 0 but as close as possible.

Here is a link to some thread that will help you understand what all of these are for and what they do.
http://nationalcoralregistry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?24-Reef-Chemistry

Keeping the basic low light corals will not be a problem for the lighting you have.

Also do you have a protein skimmer?

Coloradoman25
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Some can be kept under those lights. I had a large leather and a few others in my very first tank. Those corals seem to thrive in "mildly" dirtier water that was provided in what was basically a fowlr.

Good luck!

Scuba_Steve
11-18-2010, 11:48 PM
You can keep those corals under just about anything as long as you keep them up high, but they will not thrive at all. I would seriously suggest you do a cheap upgrade. Post in the want to buy section here and I bet you can pickup something better for next to nothing. Preferably I would say 4x 54w T5, but even 2x 54w would be an upgrade. With the 4x you could keep those same soft corals pretty much anywhere in the tank, and even some easy LPS up higher like a candycane.

notxes11
11-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Research, reading, and advice from experience are the keys to success. The corals you are talking about IME do fine as long as you keep the basics of husbandry up. Good luck. Keep asking questions because chances are someone has already been there done that.

Scuba_Steve
11-19-2010, 12:55 AM
I agree 100% Research is everything. There is a lot to learn but don't be intimidated. Research equipment before you buy, and even more, research livestock. It is easy to make a purchase at a LFS on the spot. Go home, look it up, ask questions. When I goto the store, I usually know what I want before I get there. Dont take advise from a LFS until they have proven themselves trustworthy. Lastly do things right the first time. You will save so much money and heartache this way. Ro/di is the perfect example of this.

Edit: BTW stay far away from the link you posted aquacon. It is ironic the name ends in con, because they are basically con artists :) I have a frag for you to try to waters if you want it for free. Just let me know if your in the peterson afb region or at the meeting on sat.

iseedeadcorals
11-19-2010, 01:31 AM
mushrooms could survive a nuclear winter same with button polyps. i have some in my live-rock vat, they have been there for half a year; no light and the addition of a pyramid snail.

aarond21
11-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone for responding. Yes I do have a protien skimmer. I do have quite a few additives and tests for some of the stuff mentioned above. I'm on a 24 hour shift once I'm done or if i can con the wife into telling me it I'll post up a equipment list of my tank.

Reeflextion
11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
If you want some free mushrooms and button polyps to try, I have some I will give you. Just PM me.

barryfish
11-19-2010, 05:20 PM
heres a stupid question never had this problem b4 just checked my water and my PH is 8.0 now whats the best way to bring it up? all other paras are awesome!! just curious corals seem happy except the BTA :( ever since i got my RODI unit its been acting funny

iseedeadcorals
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
8.0 is kosher. my tank drops a little below 8.0 at night when i don't drip kalkwasser. http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/71-tank-of-the-month - this guys ph gets real low.

barryfish
11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
i was just curious cuz my BTA hasn't been happy since running a rodi its like he loves tap water better lol

rekn
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
i dont like mushrooms. they can be extremely invasive.

i try and get new people on lps. theyre hardy enough and will usually tell you right away if somethings wrong.most can also be maintained on a weekly water change too.