PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cycling ?'s

aarond21
11-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I recently got my 75 setup. Its going to be a FOWLR tank. Thanks everyone that helped! My new questions are: My 50-60 pounds of rock and 1.5 5gal buckets of sand have been out of water for 4 months or so. Ive got my temp at 81, but my params are crazy! Im guessing part of the cycling. Salinty is 1.022, Ph 8.8(yesterday it was 8.4), Nitrites 5, Nitrates 20, Ammonia 1. How long will it be crazy till it starts to settle? Ive read all kinds of different things about it, just wondering people opions on it. My other ? is should I add some already cured/established live rock to my tank?

Thanks,
Aaron
Heres a few pics.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/anmdaugherty/100_0617.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv190/anmdaugherty/100_0616.jpg

torquehound
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Pick up some Nitromax from SS or Neptunes. It will add the bacteria to speed cycling. Yes I would add a few pieces of ccured or established rock. Copepods and stuff will come with it as well as more bacteria. Give it a few weeks to a month. With Nitromax that may come down though by a week or possibly two.

JLAURENCE32
11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I'd agree with Jason, probably mostly die off on the rock you used. I'm sure alot of bacteria, and other goodies, still made it and will rebuild again though. I'd estimate probably 4 weeks of cycling. Nitromax and any added bacteria like Prodibio will speed it up.

aarond21
11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks, I added the Nitromax on sat. Ive been doing my param checks everyday keeping a running log of them. Sat before I added the nitromax I checked my params this is what I got: temp 81, Sal 1.022, nitrites 1, nitrates 20, ammonia 1. I added the nitromax and let it cycle in the tank for 24 hours. When I checked my params yesterday the only changes I had were 0 ammonia and my nitrites went up to 5. Is that normal to have my ammonia already gone is just part of the cycling and it will go back up? Just curious.

Thanks,
Aaron

torquehound
11-09-2010, 07:53 AM
The little ammonia you had could be gone from the Nitromax. It then is converted into nitrites which you have now seen rise. Next, it will be converted to nitrates and they will go up but nitires will go down. Levels should stabilize after that. It still takes some time after that for all to truely become stable, but the worst should be over.

aarond21
11-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks. When would it be safe to add a few damsels to the tank? I was thinking once the nitrate cycle starts to come down.

Murfman
11-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Aaron, I think you adding damsels is a mistake. Just ask anyone who has damsels and how aggressive they are. I have a 300 gallon and my most aggressive fish is the smallest damsel in there. If you want something from the damsel family then go with green chromis

notchback5.0
11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
As murf said, do not add damsels. You will regret it. Find a hearty small fish that you want and add that. You can always add crabs and snails after the cycle is complete. They will put a small bio load on the tank.

torquehound
11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Allen's damsels are pretty tame.

Mikep
12-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi all adding to this thread. Just starting the cycle process got aout 30lb of live rock and nothing else but live sand and a BRAVE oyster from King Soopers that is liveing well (the ohter 5 died because of Dinner, Kids wanted to see something in the tank)
should I be adding a damsel or just let it cycle and add brine every day??
Thanks been a long time since I had a salt system setup.
Thanks and sorry if I interupted the thread
Mike

Murfman
12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Mike, Oyster isn't gonna make it, they are colder water animals.

smokey
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Not sure how the thought is in this club, but don't add damsels to your tank unless you REALLY want a damsel in there. They get mean and very territorial. Besides that, using fish to cycle your tank is an old school thing to do, and actually very cruel and unnecessary. You can accomplish the same thing with one or two raw shrimp from King Soopers and a couple of pieces of live rock.
Murf is correct about the oyster as well. Enjoy him while he's kicking.

barryfish
01-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Aaron, I think you adding damsels is a mistake. Just ask anyone who has damsels and how aggressive they are. I have a 300 gallon and my most aggressive fish is the smallest damsel in there. If you want something from the damsel family then go with green chromis

weres the like button on this?? haha i have 8 chromis in my tank cuz i love the schooling affect. when i had my 20 gal setup i had 2 damsel's 2 blues actually and they say they are not mean. BS they would attack everything even the magfloat!!! so i took them on a whirpool ride lol. i say chromis all the way if you must have fish to cycle with. i was reading somewere someone put a feeder gold fish in the tank and it lasted about 4days and it ate and everything causing waste since goldfish are dirty and then when it died they left it on the bottom for about 5 days then took it out. i dont know just something i read little crazy but may work??? plus goldfish is 12cents

geekadam
03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
hi all i'm new to the saltwater reef systems and i'm currently going through the cycle of my tank. my nitrates and nitrites have just shot up so my cycle is getting close to being complete. my actual question is though can i add any plants or other stuff to help build up the bacteria to get rid of the nitrites and nitrates??

Scuba_Steve
03-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I would just let it run its course. You do not want to get rid of your nitrites. These need to be present to ensure you build up a sufficient bacterial population. Once your nitrites level out, you can add some macro algae to your sump and do a large water change. These will both help rid you of nitrates. Welcome to the club btw,and the addiction!

geekadam
03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I would just let it run its course. You do not want to get rid of your nitrites. These need to be present to ensure you build up a sufficient bacterial population. Once your nitrites level out, you can add some macro algae to your sump and do a large water change. These will both help rid you of nitrates. Welcome to the club btw,and the addiction!
thanks for the advice

tonypol09
03-17-2012, 05:19 PM
my nitrites are at 0 . Is this a bad thing? ammonia is 0 nitrates 0.5? should i ad something to bring my nitrites up?