PDA

View Full Version : LED Recomendations

Joey Vagneur
09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello all I wanted to reach out to everyone I have been doing quite a bit of research surrounding LED's and there is a wide range of lights and cost. I have some pretty good electrical back graound so would not be adverse to a DIY setup but I was wondering what our community is recommending?

I am looking for something to really help my coral pop and to also replace my MH lights I currently have running.

Does anyone recommend a certain company, type of bulb wattage? I am looking for somehting that would provide growth and color and not drown me in cost.

Any suggestions on pre manufactured lights or even a DIY diagram would be appreciated. Also how much Watt's per light ect.

A bit of background on my coral.. I have SPS and LPS in my tank and mainly want to see them phosphores and grow.

Thanks all for the info in advance! :ihih:

hooked
09-23-2010, 12:52 PM
A few people are in the early stages of DIY. Systems are built just no lengthy test results yet. ReefKoi ia selling a plug in unit that seems to be really popular withing the club. RitMar has been talking about selling some units. Don't know if he has them in stock yet. Racer69 is also selling a unit. I'm sure I have missed someone. Some of these pre built units have PAR reading posted too. I'm sure the folks with the LEDs will chime in and be happy to link to their pics and PAR readings.

Murfman
09-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I am happy with the Evolutions from Reefkoi. Check out the last page on my build thread, in my signature, and you can see what they look like with PAR readings.

Reet15
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Soo was wondering if anyone is seeing any difference in the electrical usage. Have your bills lowered? stayed the same? went higher? Trying to decide if its worth the switch at this time. Thanks!

ritmar
09-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Soo was wondering if anyone is seeing any difference in the electrical usage. Have your bills lowered? stayed the same? went higher? Trying to decide if its worth the switch at this time. Thanks!

Rita, our bill went down $53 in a three week time frame. I had three 250 MHs. I am running 360W now and 1070 before.

Murfman
09-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Haven't had a full months bill yet but I too am running 360 W vs 1600 before. I am running my LEDs longer though to make up for less intensity though.

barryfish
09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
i also say reefkoi's LED's theyre awesome and at a awesome price. just so far have to wait awhile b4 they come in :(