PDA

View Full Version : Reflector Heat From MH?

Gomojoe
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
How hot do the reflectors get with 250w MH? I am thinking of mounting my Lumenarc III mini reflectors to the top of my canopy by running a bolt through the top. I want to have some space between the top of the reflector and the canopy so I was thinking of putting a spacer in between to allow for about an 1.5" to 2" space in between. Do I need to have a special spacer? Right now I have nylon spacers, the white type or I also have some material that is some sort of plastic but has a fiberglass type feel to it and is black. I held a lighter to the black stuff for about 30 secs and it did start to soften, but only the very surface of it. Is it hot enough that I need to look for something else as a spacer?

Murfman
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
my 400s got hot enough you could not hold them. FWIW, I wouldn't use anything that might melt or burn.

Gomojoe
09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
So then what should I use? I thought of using stainless steel spacers, but then I worry that those would transfer too much heat to the wood.

irishguy24
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
My 250's would be hot enough to burn me if I wasn't paying attention to em, I used a threaded metal rod and some nuts to be able to adjust the spacing on my lights