PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Gone Wild

johnstelting
01-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Help me before my wife forces me to get out of hobby.

I have a CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER that seems to be wacky. It's a hang on the back of my tank and usually runs normal. But for no reason usually about once a month it starts sucking up water, fills up the collection cup and starts overflowing, getting my stand wet and then the floor.

Question..... what could cause this? I cannot seem to figure it out. It doesn't happen after water is added, no new rock has been added, nothing has changed in the tank.... It just seems to happen for no sensible reason.

Question.... there is a small hole in the collection cup lid..... should I put a small tube into the collection cup and back into the tank? Will this solve the overflow onto the stand and floor?

Thanks

John

irishguy24
01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
does the small hole get plugged???

Deuce67
01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
The hole in the lid is just a breather hole. Without it, the air pressure will just pop that off. Unless you have an auto top off to keep the water the tank a constant problem, you will encounter overflow problems every now and then. Skimmers are sensitive to evaporation hence the reason folks put baffles in the sump. To keep to water level constant. Another reason could be is your air tube on your skimmer may accumulate salt builup restricting the airflow. Less air means more water being pushed in the skimmer which equals to overflow. Supplements will also cause a skimmer to go nuts if you add any.

kharrell
01-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Others have this same issue:

http://creativereefing.com/archive/index.php?t-1294.html

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24224

I have a prizm HOB that would overflow (but goes backinto tank). The intake tube would shift and the flow would increase.

rekn
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
its funny you 2 mention you have problems with those two skimmers as ive had both, theyre crap and a waste of money-im in the process of saving my pennies and will get a remora c or asm skimmer

kharrell
01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
its funny you 2 mention you have problems with those two skimmers as ive had both, theyre crap and a waste of money-im in the process of saving my pennies and will get a remora c or asm skimmer

Doing the research after buying a product definately waste money.

Can't wait to get a sump and a "real" skimmer....

If I was going to do HOT (Hang on Tank) the remora C Pro would be my choice based off user reviews, but I would do more research before buying one.

I never find any good "Side-by-Side" test on the skimmers. Mostly happy upgraders...

Reefkoi
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
deltec makes a hang on skmmer that is probably a good one.
my ASM used to go nuts once in a while as welll. so does tims asm I think he said. My current skimmer would overflow after certain additives so I now have it adjusted with a lower water level so it skims drier and never goes crazy.
I am not a fan of running the skimmate out into a bucket, that's how steve weast lost his stuff he cleaned it, it went nuts and pumped a few hundred gallons into the sewer.
C

Huhhhhh
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah I'll never run a skimmer outside a sump or have a collection cup outside a sump. It only takes one good time to have a disaster.

Deuce67
01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Eh, it doesnt matter who makes em, HOT skimmer is always a recipe for disaster unless you modify it to have it dump back into the main tank if it overflows.

normanviking
01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I would think your the hole were the air somes in plugged also. Will make the water level rise because it doesn't have to fight the air. I agree, buy a better skimmer. In sump is much better.

Kirblit
01-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think I would be comfortable with routing the skimate back into the tank if it overflows. Once that scum is skimmed out it's really concentrated and could be considered quite lethal if you had a lot of good skimate already in the cup when it started to overflow. I would say get a different skimmer and if you cant maybe get a float switch to put in the skimmer cup so that if it gets too full it will turn it off before it has a chance to overflow.

Deuce67
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Lol! Better the tank than the floor again. Dont want John to be in the doghouse!

Questin
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a remora c skimmer and it works very well.

Murfman
01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think I would be comfortable with routing the skimate back into the tank if it overflows. Once that scum is skimmed out it's really concentrated and could be considered quite lethal if you had a lot of good skimate already in the cup when it started to overflow. I would say get a different skimmer and if you cant maybe get a float switch to put in the skimmer cup so that if it gets too full it will turn it off before it has a chance to overflow.

I have read artcles to take some of your skimmate and dump it into the sump and feed it as phyto.

Reefkoi
01-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I have read artcles to take some of your skimmate and dump it into the sump and feed it as phyto.

I've also read you can dump tobasco sauce into your tank for ich LOL
C

Kirblit
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM

I don't quite understand how fish poop and detritus would morph into Phyto with the addtion of alot of bubbles, but maybe this author of the article has found a way? I was just always a proponent of if it's hydrophilic it doesn't want to be in the water anyway so why don't we just remove it. LOL

Kirblit
01-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I've also read you can dump tobasco sauce into your tank for ich LOL
C

Don't forget to add the Mylanta afterwards so that the fish don't get any heartburn. I must agree I have seen some crazy ideas in this hobby. But then again who would have thought that dog heart worm medicine could kill red bugs. Things that make you go HUMMMMMMM.

rekn
01-18-2008, 02:00 PM
speaking of tobasco, where is eric anyway?

Murfman
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM
speaking of tobasco, where is eric anyway?

Moved back to Kentucky.