PDA

View Full Version : question about MH lights and spectrum?

barryfish
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
ok so I have a metal halide/t5ho fixture I know what everyones gonna say about the brand but honestly I don't care the light is awesome I just need to change the bulb. The fixture is a oddysea the size is 250w mh 15k. It's not really a 15k more like 8-10k. My question is I have green algea growing on the side that the mh is but my other side is t5 only and doesn't have algea nor corals. I keep all my corals and live rock on the right side with the mh. I was thinking the reason the algea is growing is cuz of the color of the halide. What kelvin should I get and can someone post pics if they recommend 14k or 16k or 20k? I am curious what color they look like. I hope it's just the bulb color that's growing algea. Like I said the left sideof the tank is algea free cuz it doesn't have super bright lights. My paras are all good my test kit is good not expired I have even took my water to seascape and it tested good. So could this just be my mh bulb being too white yellowish color?

Wicked demon
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I have an oddysea fixture, and those bulbs came stock with it, the algae is from the bulb being old and the light emission has become degraded, plants grow best at kelvin ratings around 6000, and corals seem happiest between 12000k and 20,000k, I personally like reeflux 12k and ushio 20k, they are very similar to each other (go figure) I ordered bulbs from BRS and they sent me 2 totally different bulbs, so the fixture seems ok, and the ballasts are pretty crappy, but when you do get bulbs get them somewhere else, and try an ice cap ballast and the bulbs will be seriously much brighter.

barryfish
08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
well the ballast seems fine just the bulb is crappy so I can't decide what color to go with on bulbs

Wicked demon
08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I would go 20k, unless its reeflux, then I would go 12k, and trust me on the oddysea ballasts, they work ok and all, but there is a HUGE difference when you see it next to icecaps, or another premium ballast.

Murfman
08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
I used the 400 Watt MH in 12 Reeflux and when I did a side by side comparison with an Ushio 20K, the RL was more blue. You can get the RL locally too.

barryfish
08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
so could this be the reason i have this algea growing? its not hair aglea its a thin layer and it is only on the side were the mh is

Murfman
08-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Sounds like it. MH is a stronger light.

barryfish
08-25-2010, 03:43 PM
i turned it off and i got my actinics on only hoping it will go away in a couple of days i tryed wyping it off the glass and rocks but like i said its a thin layer like green dust or some crap. all my corals are happy tho so i aint to worried about the algea i just dont like seeing it its nasty. like a las vegas hooker!!

Murfman
08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
why not use a magnet and clean the glass?

Gomojoe
08-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Most Vegas hookers look pretty good! You must be talking about the hookers on Nevada, here in the springs, if your talking nasty!

Wicked demon
08-25-2010, 04:06 PM
sounds like you need some CUC to me!

barryfish
08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
ive cleaned the glass every 2-4hrs it comes back paul. and david you must have seen my sister there lol. like i said everything is happy my anemone,zoas,rics,rhodactis,kenya tree all doing good they love the light. i just hate the algea. my lemon peel angel,lawnmower blenny,bicolor blenny,scoupas tang they all eat the algea just its so fine of algea its hard for them to eat it.

barryfish
08-25-2010, 04:30 PM
i got some cuc but i have a picasso trigger and he has already taken out nassarus,cerith and black margarite snails and my pep shrimps and all except 1 redleg crabs. i have turbo snails that he dont mess with cuz the size of them. i dont know if he will mess with a sea hare. i saw 1 @ neptunes that is like 18 bux i was gonna get but worried he might take it out too.

Murfman
08-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Sea Hare eats hair algae. once it is gone, it will starve to death.

barryfish
08-25-2010, 04:36 PM
i know that part paul figured it might help with this algea. i am gonna change my light this weekend to the phoenix 14k and see if that changes anything

Wicked demon
08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
also try running carbon, and skimming more.

barryfish
08-25-2010, 05:21 PM
done that i just actually emptied the skimmer and changed out the carbon