PDA

View Full Version : "No body told me tib-bits" Newb forum Ideas

honoreetamore
07-18-2010, 07:03 PM
OK, so the first thread that was ment for tib-bits of cool information turned into a discussion of how to get a new forum made for these types of information... which is ok... keep using that for discussion on the "how to pull it off" ideas on which way it should be organised etc.
Here I would like to see WHAT we want in there instead of HOW we want it in there.... the ideas that have gotten buried in the last thread about CONTENT. What Should be put in there? What information would we like organized for newbs or ourselves etc? Maybe stuff liek these? ...

Tank cleaning: Good ways to have your arms not turn to jello lol:crazy:

Being prepared: What every saltwater hobbyist should think of Just In Case

Power went out, Now what?: tank survival tips for outages

racer69
07-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Water Testing
Fish Compatability
Test Kits
Algea problems
Do I need a Skimmer or Sump

Murfman
07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
How the nitrogen cycle works, what can I use in and emergency when my ammonia hits xxxx

What is better, calcium reactor or dosing BI-Onic or Two part?

My nitrates are 40, what can I do to bring them down?

How do I frag zoas?

What kind of glues can I use in my tank?

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 07:40 PM
What equipment to get if I start small, not knowing if I'll go larger later.

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Fish not to get if I plan to get softies, clams etc. later

Fish that should never be kept together

racer69
07-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Now we are on track....

Why are there bubble blowing in my tank

My tank has cycled and now there is tons of algea

Murfman
07-18-2010, 07:52 PM
What kind of algae is this growing in my tank? How do I get rid of it?

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Bioload restrictions

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Water change dos and don'ts

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
What to do when:
-fish start dying
-corals start dying
-water suddenly looks cloudy
-the power fails
-the water shocks me when I touch it
-the tank is leaking

Reefkoi
07-18-2010, 07:59 PM
vendor experiences too!

good vendors/bad vendors, save the newbies some heartache.........

Murfman
07-18-2010, 08:00 PM
What kinds of lighting do I need if I want to keep..........

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Equipment: Good brands, bad brands

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Easy DIY that is cost effective and gives results comparable to commercial (example: 2-part)

Outdated technology

Reefkoi
07-18-2010, 08:14 PM
So will this be a forum with new "topics" and each of those titled with everyone of these categories? or do you think it should have an equipment, fish, water changes, etc........man this could get so big it would almost be like having a new forum wouldn't it? I mean if you think of a category for everything we deal with in the hobby you almost get overwhelmed right off the bat...

barryfish
07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
man yall hit all of it right on the spot!

SpaceOps
07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Chris, I had the same thought. Maybe major categories with subcategories?

More:

The true cost of setting up a tank
What kind of daily/weekly/monthly maintenance is really required?
Can a tank be over-maintained?
Equipment/setups to avoid if you can afford it now (what I had in mind was things like external overflows vs built-ins, etc.)
Are supplements really necessary?

barryfish
07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
is there any important medications to know about?how to get rid of unwanted critters ex. Aiptasia?

liriel
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
- Hitch hiker ID - what IS this?
- Vodka Sugar Vinegar dosing FAQ
- Trap suggestions - how do I get xxx out of my tank (crabs, fish, etc)
- Feeding requirements - tangs, predators, mixed tanks, etc (could include DIY food)
- Clean up crew suggestions (crabs, snails, urchins, sea hares, etc)
- Equipment you didn't think about (electricity grounding, auto feeders, etc)
- Success stories (how I got rid of algae, how I taught xxx to eat frozen food, how I removed bio balls, how I drilled my tank, etc)
- What not to do (tap/battled water, bio balls, PCs, etc)

dv3
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
ro/di untis (what are they?, what to buy)
how to mix SW
how to handle evaporation

honoreetamore
07-19-2010, 10:51 AM
*just one quick non idea comment... but its for the ideas being giving so Im putting it here.*

LOL first off, very nice, I hope I can find all the info and make it good enough... (some of them would belong in other sections honestly for what we are trying to do here... but we can always make a link area or something. I will learn as I go I guess with what will look best and be most organised).
But anyway, anyone that wants to answer/give info on their own question/topic, please feel free or post maybe a link if you want of a place I can go look at pull from since that will most likely be my most time consuming part of this. Just go back and add/edit your orginal post with the info instea dof making a new post.

THANKX EVERYONE!

SpaceOps
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
An idea from today. Something's gone wrong with my livestock and I want to ask for diagnosis/recommendations in the forum. What parameters should I measure and provide when I post in the forum?

ojreef
07-20-2010, 07:42 PM
A few years ago, I got tired of paying high prices at the LFS and got smart (NOT!) I found you could go to a fabric store and buy quilt batting for REALLY CHEAP. After a few months, I found my tank was having problems. I couldn't think of anything that I was doing wrong so, I went to a LFS. They tested my water and found I had VERY high Phosphate readings. Did several water changes and really couldn't get it to a decent reading.

Finally they asked me more questions and I mentioned my cleaver cheap floss filter's (Quilt Batting). They had me go home, get another sample of water, bring it back with a sample of "CLEAN" batting. Well, I did. They took a sample of their water, ran a phosphate test and it read 0. They then took a little piece of Batting, placed in the test water and SHAZAM - it shot up to highest Phosphate reading on the chart.

I learned about using Quilt Batting from a web site. Heard of many people using it and was surprised to see how bad it was. The batting is commercial quality and heavy with chemicals to make it white.