PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas...

honoreetamore
07-11-2010, 07:44 PM
#1:
Type up a draft for the forums stating any views and opinions expressed in said forums are that of the members and not nessecarily that of SCMAS or its board. That way next time someone wants to bring up a certain LFS, they may do so without gettign a phone call from the PR guy at 8:30pm saying it had to be deleted (even tho it didnt say anythign negitive AT ALL) and one of the reasons being a worry of the club getting sued for slander JUST IN CASE something neg does get said. For that reason and much more you guys should protect the club by writing up somethgin then paying an attorney a small fee to look it over adn say add this, take out that, and its good. That way if a member has had a bad experience at a store, they can voice it and warn others without worry. Also make guildlines for such posts... maybe even make a customer experience forum with the rule of say what happend as in facts and try to keep all teh personal feelings of "those a**holes are f'ing such-n-such" ...Saving many headaches...

#2:
Maybe make up some presentations for meetings so they arent just gettign together and drinking beer... ie. making your own whatever, proper propagation, filtration, pumps, types of lighting, softies vs hard corals, etc etc etc the possibilities are endless.... that way they can be get together and drink beer while actually maybe learning something. :) I think this would also help newbs with potential problems before they are posting all frantic. Who ever hosts can pick somethign they love or know about or what to share adn give a lil thing on that... nothing long like maybe 20-30 mins.
AND maybe this will get more people to ACTAULLY attend the meetings since the raffles at those meetings are teh main source of income for this club. Maybe even set aside time at meeting for open discussion for ideas to help the club or concerns, actually bring up hot topics from the forums to discuss in person. Just an idea... idk how well it will work or if you've tried to do them before....

#3:
Make clearer rules for avatars etc... make them fair and equal to both sexes... no men kissing means no women kissing, no bouncing package means package of any type. Stop being such a bias club so someone doesnt do something that they are getting reamed over for and getting apologies and condolences in their PM inbox while getting roasted in the forums.

there... hopefully someone might actually find one or two of these useful...

dv3
07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
what meetings are for getting together and drinking beer? ....i'm really going to have to make it down sometime for one of these meetings

unfortunately forums aren't a democracy the people than run them make the rules and we just play by them if we so choose to

rmougey
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Regarding #3, you can disable the display of all avatars, which makes everything work safe, kid safe and PC while still preserving individual expression. Just an FYI.

As for #1, most comments on a public forum are the responsibility of the poster, not the website. Even if you do have something legal drawn up, that may not prevent anyone from suing anyone else in our lovely tort system.

Did I miss something while out of town for a few days?

-Rob

SpaceOps
07-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I want to say this up front so it doesn't get lost in my ramblings below. The "PR guy" absolutely did the right thing by calling you. All too often, arguments are dragged out in the open in the forum for all to see, and it makes everyone look bad. It's a rare thing to see things handled on a personal level like that. BTW, he has been the glue who has helped keep the club together for several years.

Section #1.

I do agree that presentations would be a good idea. There used to be some. Maybe they ran out of subjects, or the subject matter experts left. The membership changed completely since I was last active over 3 years ago.

A disclaimer won't prevent the club and the people who posted the libelous statements (not slander) from getting sued if the libelous statements are allowed to remain on the board once the board has been made aware.

I did not see the post in question, but regardless, it's never a good idea for the club to allow anyone to post criticisms of a LFS (sponsor or not). There are just too many downsides to it--it gives the club a bad reputation, causes permanent problems between the LFS and the club, could prevent other businesses from future associations with the club, etc.

Section 2. It's always been about looking at the host's tank, eating munchies, drinking beer (or soda), talking to fellow reefers, learning something new (with or without demos), trading frags, and going home until the next meeting.

Section 3. If any avatar rules are made, and the club is serious about being family friendly, then it should restrict them to something you would not be ashamed to show your young child. No butt cheeks, no cleavage (no fun). I would suggest that language also be filtered the way another local web site is filtered.

SpaceOps
07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I forgot this. There are exactly four LFSs in town (the large chains don't count), plus a couple of people who sell only corals. Even if legitimate criticisms were allowed, how long do you think it would take before every one of them became permanent non-sponsors of SCMAS? It's always best to first discuss things with them face-to-face, and if that doesn't work, vote with your wallet and your feet.

honoreetamore
07-11-2010, 10:09 PM
as for filters.... just finally got off teh phone with david (an hr and 45 mins and one very angry husband whom went to bed without so much as a goodnight later lol)....
we agreed taking away all bouncey avatars would be too much like RC with too many rules. Question right now taht remains... what is exceptable and what is not? i dont liek seeing bouncey boobies on darn near every page... but i have never told someone they coudl not have them either. same goes for thongs, girls kissing, etc etc etc ......
So since this is a mostly male club... just curious.... what IS exceptable for a male counterpart to all your guys female bouncey avatars?? Abviously no nudity. IF you guys have girls kissing as an avatar, then is guys kissing ok too? or does that go into some political gay rights thing instead of just being to cute guys kissing that i personally might like to see same as you guys liking to see two girls... ?? Is a guys bare butt (nothing dangling from the front into view) count the same as girls in thongs where you can see the entire rear-end anyway?

Apparently not much has ever been asked in this area... that if guys can do this what girls can do also for avatars?.... but with the growing number of female members, it is somethign we might want to satrt thinking about and think abotu being more open minded.... if you expect to be able to do something, how much right do you have to tell the next in line they cant do the same thing????? SO what would everyone be willign to give/take to agree to disagree on them? (... be fair)

AND what lines are there for the thought of ppls kids looking over their shoulder to the computer screen?? Turn off all avatars??? is there a way we can turn off certain ones??? or does it just turn them all off? Honestly from the conversations that have happened and that happened today... it soudns alot more fair and easier adn less nazi-like (forgive the term lol) to just have those truely concerned turn off avatars instead of making the entire forum conform to those maybe dozen ppl... tho i coudl be very wrong on that thought. hence why it is a thought :) they can change daily, and for females, hourly lol

Anyway.... that is where we kinda are now. oh and having some sort of disclaimer woudl be better than none at all. I'd at least consult someone on it.

Jiggyfly
07-12-2010, 07:05 AM
yay!, trish for pres :D was wondering who would step up.(november is right around the corner?

honoreetamore
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
yay!, trish for pres :D was wondering who would step up.(november is right around the corner?

huh?? ... oh dear............... lol

Reefkoi
07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I laughed when I saw your avatars, I have no problem with them I mean we've never outlawed avatars on here when I was on the previous 2 boards........I think you were just playing back and theres nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Anyway, I think you are right about the meetings having more structure, I'd bring that up to our "special events" person and see maybe what you two can do to brainstorm some ideas :)

C

ojreef
07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
As an "old", my age plus, membership in clubs for years guy. I just thought I'd mention how the original club started their meetings;

1. Started the meeting promptly on time (at least within 5 minuts of posted meeting time.

2. Club officer started by welcoming everyone, introduced board members present and, the Host (including the Significant other). Next was a quick go around the room" where everyone introduced themselves by logon name and real name. This should be limited to; name, location, tank size/type and time in the hobby. This allows the attendees to see who might be someone they would like to meet and talk to later. In addition, it allows the newbees and small tank owners to realize they are not alone. It really did/does, give you someone to talk to after the formal (Not really) meeting.

3. Before the meeting was announced, the host was aked what he/she wanted to talk about (besides just the " this is my 294.75 Gal. tank." ie; when I hosted meetings at my house, my topic was usually "how to run a VERY LOW TECH. 72 gl. reef tank. No dosers, reactors, no auto top off, etc,. It only took me about 10 minuts to explain my tank and another 15 - 20 to answer questions. The topic the host was going to talk about was always posted as part of the original meeting announcement

4, After a time (determined by Board member or Host). Board member gave info on club "new stuff" coming, in the planning stage, etc.

5. Invited people with questions to seek out people that perked their interest at the introduction's.

6. Thank the Host(s) and everyone and, officially end the meeting by announcing the food/beverages procedures.

Why all the above? Well for the folks that know and see each other, it is completely a waste of time BUT, for the newbee's and the once in awhile attendee's or, someone from another Club visiting for the first time, It is REALLY important.

IMHO without the above or, at least, something like it, the rest of the folks that don't know EVERYONE could feel like it is a click or, just read the original poster of this thread comment's. listed as item #2

honoreetamore
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I laughed when I saw your avatars, I have no problem with them I mean we've never outlawed avatars on here when I was on the previous 2 boards........I think you were just playing back and theres nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Thankx Chris... tho not everyone was seeing it that way. oh well...
love you avatar BTW!!! :smilielol5:

Jiggyfly
07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
chris is the long time avatar champion followed by tim . we used to play an insider avatar game on saturdays nites and chris pulled the pimp hand with "Homer" I am still looking for one to beat that. tim did send me one that could dethrone that one with the fish tattoo.

Reefkoi
07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
yeah the "snapper"............that one might be good for a late night chatroom session haha

THEJRC
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
ojreef has a point, that was how the meetings were when I joined up. Topics are a great thing and this *has* already been brought up by the existing board. (I'm currently working on a presentation for a meet).

I think it should be noted though, that a lot of the lack of censorship here is one of the things that makes the club a little better than other places. I remember when we first stood up thescmas.com forums and got away from reefcentral... there are things to say both good and bad.

When we first stood up the new forums every member was for the most part self policing, I understand as new members join and as the club gets larger this may not always be possible. But do bear in mind there are closed areas of the forums where non family / work friendly banter can be posted. The avatars can be turned off for work / public pc's and turned on elsewhere. I dont really see it as much of a problem (though I'm also difficult to offend).

On the topic of the LFS criticism... bear in mind how much politics can get in the way of club / vendor relations. We've seen instances in the past with LFS over the sponsorship peice. Working PR for a hobbyist club is difficult enough.

ojreef
07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=THEJRC;92377]ojreef has a point, that was how the meetings were when I joined up. Topics are a great thing and this *has* already been brought up by the existing board. (I'm currently working on a presentation for a meet).[/B

Thanks for the comment on my idea. I just wanted to mention that IMHO the Club should not make it a requirement to have a formal TOPIC but, the host should be prepared to go into some details about his set-up or, special areas of interest. A couple of areas that come to my mind are; the meeting that was held at a house where the host had set up his own battery back-up system, another on was your meeting on breeding cultures, also, a meeting on how to make "concrete" rocks, how to make a Calcium reactor, etc.

The "Talk" doesn't have to be formal presentation and, [B]if the emphasis is put on the presentation it could be a put off for folks that are gun-shy to talk in front of people. Actually, I can remember one case years ago where the host didn't feel comfortable talking in front of people and, after she fed the info to a board member, he did the "Talk" for her. Notice how low-key the phrase "gave the talk" is, compared to "Presentation" Same thing, less stress for some.

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I just learned that randomfish was the PR guy who made the calls. Well, good going, randomfish! I don't know the details of the calls (and don't want to know), but it was a ton better than airing it in the forum.

My statement about the PR guy being the glue that held the club together was a reference to Murf. He's been in the thick of it with the club for many years.

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
[quote=THEJRC;92377]
The "Talk" doesn't have to be formal presentation and, [B]if the emphasis is put on the presentation it could be a put off for folks that are gun-shy to talk in front of people. Actually, I can remember one case years ago where the host didn't feel comfortable talking in front of people and, after she fed the info to a board member, he did the "Talk" for her. Notice how low-key the phrase "gave the talk" is, compared to "Presentation" Same thing, less stress for some.

I'm an accomplished speaker. My motto is "Death by PowerPoint!" I'm always prepared with backup slides.

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Joe, are you volunteering to demonstrate the Bourneman SPS propagation method?

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey, Trish. That avatar works. Something for everyone.

honoreetamore
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey, Trish. That avatar works. Something for everyone.

all my avatars shouldve worked, but if you wanna go that route... when you gunna change yours? :biggrinjester: lol

Jiggyfly
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
do it C, do it now!

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
You heartless little............How dare you criticize the classic Farrah!!!!!!! She got me through my teen years!!!!!!!!!

That's it. The gloves are off.:boxing_smiley:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
That is, Farrah and the Cheryl Tiegs poster.

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Ok, I'm changing it because you asked me to.

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Would you rather I replace that with an avatar of a fully clothed female?

dv3
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
all my avatars shouldve worked, but if you wanna go that route... when you gunna change yours? :biggrinjester: lol

i didn't really like your avatar but as you said ..fair is fair ...was anyone really serious when they were giving you **** or just expressing the fact that they didn't like looking at boners? ...lol

all this happened just when i was looking for an avatar myself...:mad:

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
it was way too small to be called one.

Jiggyfly
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
oh my gosh.... this thread has gotten booooorrrrring :sleep:

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
oh my gosh.... this thread has gotten booooorrrrring :sleep:
So spice it up!

Jiggyfly
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
So spice it up!not me sir, I only let it out when me and c are playing saturday nite avatar

SpaceOps
07-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Need to replace your avatar with a chicken then. BAWK!

honoreetamore
07-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Ok, I'm changing it because you asked me to.

dan, totally was just bustin on you... i have never asked anyone to replace an avatar... lol

honoreetamore
07-13-2010, 06:35 AM
i didn't really like your avatar but as you said ..fair is fair ...was anyone really serious when they were giving you **** or just expressing the fact that they didn't like looking at boners? ...lol

all this happened just when i was looking for an avatar myself...:mad:

one was serious, the other i guess was half joking bc they didnt want to look at a boner (or half a one lol)

Murfman
07-13-2010, 09:39 AM
My statement about the PR guy being the glue that held the club together was a reference to Murf. He's been in the thick of it with the club for many years.

Thanks Dan but I haven't had near as much to do with keeping the club together as some of the other members. (Chris and Todd) I have just tried to stay involved.

Reefkoi
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I should note I'm not taking credit for building this club to where it is, obviously everyone involved has done their part to better the club, my statement was more of me explaining I am sad to see it where its at right now and even though I am no longer a board member and am a commercial seller now I want to donate, help organize fragstock and in general do my part to help save the club!

THEJRC
07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Joe, are you volunteering to demonstrate the Bourneman SPS propagation method?

Hrmm unfortunately I lack the proper lighting ( available from www.nightsea.com ) to do a real time demonstration. The recruits are simply impossible to see with the naked eye. I was thinking about doing a video demonstration of the methods which would allow me to capture shots of settled recruits after a few days. Though it's been low on the list of priorities. Given more people show interest I might step that one up.

What I'm working on right now actually is a number of presentations on captive propagation ad breeding of fish and inverts. It's been pointed out by many that most of the current breeders in the hobby arent doing a very good job of simplifying instruction and helping newbies to the hobby get into it. A lot of people are scared off when we start talking about techniques and methods and dont realize that it's truly not all that complicated. So I'm hoping to work out some good presentations to illustrate that it is easier than most think, beautiful thing about uncharted territory anyone can find something new.

SpaceOps
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Given the interest in sticks, I'd say this would result in more bang for the buck for most people. It doesn't take special skills, and it's more likely to keep the interest of more people.

SpaceOps
07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
dan, totally was just bustin on you... i have never asked anyone to replace an avatar... lol

I know. Just playing along.