PDA

View Full Version : What about an e-mail service?

reef diver
12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Could we have an actual e-mail service on here, or is it just restricted to PM's?

ReefJerk
12-24-2007, 09:05 AM
If I click on your avatar, there is a link under the "Contact Info" section to send you an email.

Reefkoi
12-24-2007, 10:20 AM
I think he means reefkoi@thescmas.com or something like that?
C

Questin
12-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Some ISPs give you that option, but I am not sure it would be used that much by normal members. I can see the officers having a use for it.

ReefJerk
12-24-2007, 11:39 AM
C

Oh, I see. Well, if some one hosts the mailserver and thescmas.com domain is owned, we can have as many email addresses as we want. I wonder if Joe has some "unused" bandwidth on his T1 that he wouldn't mind slapping a Pegasus server on. Talk to use, Joe. :yesnod:

reef diver
12-24-2007, 12:00 PM
C

That is what I meant, because for me I cant have enough e-mail addresses. :wink5:

Reefkoi
12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I have all mine forwarded to one anyways! But yeah it looks cool to have it go to one that pertains to each particular hobby or profession ;)
C

THEJRC
12-24-2007, 02:12 PM
setting up a mail host is easy and I can slap either a new system in the rack at the datacenter or host it on an existing cpanel machine. The big question would be how well we can edit the DNS with the current provider (larry?? I dont know who the provider is but can we flip just the MX?). Shouldnt be that big of a deal at all but you never know.

The real question will be.... do we just assign email addresses for everyone who shows up to a meeting? How do we define who gets accounts and who manages the whole spiel? Keeping servers running is an easy day to day thing for me... user management... ugh!

ReefJerk
12-24-2007, 02:30 PM
nslookup does at least show some mx records, so it would seem that Larry could point them wherever he chooses. I think it's much better to handle your own mail servers. It cuts down on spam and at least you know not any Joe Blow is fiddling through your email. At least we know this Joe ;)

THEJRC
12-24-2007, 03:35 PM
At least we know this Joe ;)

bwaaaahaaahaaaaaa....

might be worse...

fuzzyt
12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
setting up a mail host is easy and I can slap either a new system in the rack at the datacenter or host it on an existing cpanel machine. The big question would be how well we can edit the DNS with the current provider (larry?? I dont know who the provider is but can we flip just the MX?). Shouldnt be that big of a deal at all but you never know.

The real question will be.... do we just assign email addresses for everyone who shows up to a meeting? How do we define who gets accounts and who manages the whole spiel? Keeping servers running is an easy day to day thing for me... user management... ugh!

Don't forget reverse lookups for the MX records. Many ISPs now days won't talk to a mail server without a legit reverse lookup. AOL is a perfect example. Also would need something like POP3 or IMAP so folks could grab the mail.

LDogg
12-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I am working on email forwards. actual mailboxes with web mail will cost $$$ not a whole lot though. I think it was $3 a month.

THEJRC
12-24-2007, 05:53 PM
lemme know lar, if need be I can easily slate out some space and webmail on one of my cpanel boxes

LDogg
12-24-2007, 11:07 PM
reverse DNS is a must. we use inbound and outbound services for 90% of our clients, to eliminate junk. We have total control over the domain, so we can edit DNS @ godaddy, and point our MX record to whoever.

THEJRC
12-26-2007, 09:25 AM
no worries there, got reverse out the hoo hah for everything in the data center. If you want I can work up domainkeys and SPF records as well (hell I can host DNS on the dnssec servers here if you need)

irishguy24
12-26-2007, 10:55 AM
having an email for the club would be so much easier.....then i could have it pushed to my phone...never out of reach anymore