PDA

View Full Version : newbie light questions

helpwithhealing
03-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm pretty new to salt water tanks. All the stuff about lighting is confusing to me. I have a 55 gal tank and mostly I want fish and inverts but I am also wanting to add some anemones. I'd like cheap but decent lighting. What should I be looking for?

notchback5.0
03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Anemones need medium to strong light. T5s are what I would recommend to meet the needs of a 'nem. Metal halides are always an option as they will exceed the needs of one. Just about everything else can be grown under t5's including SPS so youll have room to grow. I personally have a 55 gal with 2x150w metal halides and 2x65w power compact actinic for early/late lighting. I have 2 anemone's, and some LPS and softies.

TRKDAYJNKE
03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
This should give you some good info to start with. Keep an eye out, alot of people sell stuff pretty regularly on here.

Gomojoe
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
With T5s, just make sure you get individual reflectors!

Gomojoe
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I will say this is one of the most frustrating purchases if you don't plan well, because lighting is one of the most limiting factors on what you can have, and is also one of the more expensive! I've done it to myself twice! I got an Orbit PC light which wasn't cheap...then realized that sucked and got an Nova Extreme Pro (6x T5) which is a good light but still not enough for the clams and SPS I like! So my next purchase is going to be either 250W or 400W MH, with T5s for supplimental/actinics! Lighting doesn't hold its value very well so each time you have to upgrade you take a pretty big hit, so I would defninetly recommend checking out some members tanks and doing some research to see what you really want, because you could have a FOWLR with 1000W MH, but you can't have an SPS dominated tank with PCs!

TRKDAYJNKE
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Good advice, something to think about too is get a system setup that can do anything you may want to do in the future. If you get that stuff now instead of compromising you wont pay twice.

the grim reefer
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
If you have a canopy a 4x54 watt T5 retrofit is fairly inexpensive and will let you keep about anything in a 55.