PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer problem

68sting
03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I have an ASM G4 and it has worked great up unitl a few month ago. Now my airline keeps geting plugged up. I have to squirt water down it everyother day. What's up with this?

Sneezy
03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
i would make a hole in the lid of the skimmer just large enough to slight the air line into it, this will keep your line from plugging up.

Murfman
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
You could extend the line out with some 3/8" ID line so it is away from the salt creep.

ReefJerk
03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Also, check your volute for calcium build-up. I have to clear mine out once a month. If your CaRx effluent goes into the chamber where the skimmer is (mine does to allow the skimmer to blow off excess CO2), this could be the problem.

notchback5.0
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
i have my skimmer on a 12 hour timer that only runs at night. I have found by doing this, i no longer have that problem. My mini-g would get build up inside the plastic. Allowing it to soak for 12 hours a day has eliminated the need for me to clear the build up.

mrliriel
03-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I used to have that same problem with my ASM G3 and my Eric Drew special. Mine were both getting salt creep at the venturi not at the air intake. Here is how I fixed the issue. First I made a muffler, and siliconed it on to reduce noise at the air intake and prevent any splash from getting in. Now once a month a dump about a 1/4 cup of diluted vinegar R/O solution down the tube. The key here (as Greg has told me) is to warm it up. Before I was not warming it up and every day it was clogging again. Get it nice and hot, and I use a big syringe to get the fluid into the tube. Like the kind you inject herbs and spices into a roast or turkey with.

Edit to clarify: The venturi inlet at the volute.