PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your lights ignite?

cowspot83
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I came home today to find a strong electrical burn smell. Turns out the connection from my lights to the electric box caught fire and was smoldering away. I have kept the system protected but it had some salt creep from the previous owner :( This problem only affects the actinic lights- how long can the tank go without? I don't know much about lighting systems... does this mean i need to get a whole new system? Or can this be easily fixed by en electrician? Thanks so much~Lynn

stacy7127
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Lynn i would say the ballast probably shorted out and the cord was probably a two prong plug instead of three so the breaker took the load until the cord got hot enough to melt together and trip the breaker,you got lucky I had the same thing happen to me this summer with a overflow filter,but caused 20k in damage, so you can replace the ballast and cord maybe light sockets if bad, did it burn the wall outlet if so you may want to replace that also,is it a retro or a factory light? Your tank should be fine without actinic light aslong as you still have your main light...