PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Ballast Hum

karlinkelly
02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I've got a dual magnetic MH ballast from Hamilton that hums quite loudly but appears to work quite well. I can clearly hear the hum from 10' away. Is this normal for all magnetic ballast?

68sting
02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
yes. My old hamiltons were loud also. Thats one of the reasons I switched to new electronic ballasts.

karlinkelly
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
yes. My old hamiltons were loud also. Thats one of the reasons I switched to new electronic ballasts.

What do you think of electronic ballasts? What model did you go with? Do they drive the bulbs ok?

68sting
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm no expert but I think magnetic ballast do overdrive the bulbs compared to electronic. Of course your bulbs won't last as long either. I also believe electronic ballasts are more energy efficient. I would use what you got until you see someone's tank that has that pop you like. Then just find out what they're doing for lights. That's what I did.

Murfman
02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Karlin, I posted a thread on electronic ballasts, yesterday. They were reviewed by Sanjay Joshi in Jan of last year. Just search for lumatek or galaxy and you should find it. Like Lance said, find a tank you like the colors on and use that ballast bulb combo.

karlinkelly
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm no expert but I think magnetic ballast do overdrive the bulbs compared to electronic. Of course your bulbs won't last as long either. I also believe electronic ballasts are more energy efficient. I would use what you got until you see someone's tank that has that pop you like. Then just find out what they're doing for lights. That's what I did.

Yeah, I was planning on using what I've got for a bit, but the noise is going to drive my wife crazy - so I do need to find a solution.

karlinkelly
02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Karlin, I posted a thread on electronic ballasts, yesterday. They were reviewed by Sanjay Joshi in Jan of last year. Just search for lumatek or galaxy and you should find it. Like Lance said, find a tank you like the colors on and use that ballast bulb combo.

Thanks. I'll try to find that thread.

68sting
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I have galaxy ballasts. They're dead quiet, 5 year warranty and reasonably priced. You're welcome to come check them out.