PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Time Option

Questin
12-10-2007, 05:19 PM
There are a lot of items in this hobby that should be replaced on a regular schedule. Weekly, monthly, yearly, and so on, but when that time comes we go at it alone because we do not really know whom else may need to do the same thing.

I have not seen a site do this yet, and maybe we can be the first if you find this a good idea, but I think it would be nice to know when everyone else is going to replace big $ items.

If I need new bulbs, and I am able to get a group buy with 10 other people that need new bulbs, there could be a good discount there if we set things up correctly.

A count down timer? Something on the users Control Panel? Or something totally new, I am not sure. I have not looked into all the avaliable mods for this forum, maybe there is something already out there for this, but I am always finding myself spending a lot of money on certain things for this hobby at the same time of the year.

JinxXx0085
12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
That's a great idea Q! I'm always big on saving money.
I know I'll need new powercompact bulbs in about 6 - 8 months down the road... 4 of them!

Questin
12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Plus I never remember when I bought my lights last time, so this would help me remember. hehe

JinxXx0085
03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Mmmm! I was looking through the subscribed threads I had and came across this one. I guess it fell through?

I still think this is a cool idea, synchronize timings together so we can have group buys kind of regularly?

SpaceOps
03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
You could set up your Outlook calendar to remind you.

Murfman
03-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Plus I never remember when I bought my lights last time, so this would help me remember. hehe

John, I set up an excell spreadsheet to track things like water perameters/changes to additives and I write on the inside of the doors on my hood the date I put my last bulbs in.

DKone
03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
>>> Plus I never remember when I bought my lights last time, so this would help me remember. hehe

I used to write the date i installed my p/c lights in the fixtures on the bulbs bulkhead with a permanent marker pen.

aquaman2000
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I have used lined ledgers for years, they work great. But now in the computer age... Excel is the way to go. You have a grid for everything and reminders when replacement time is growing near.... The hardest thing is actually doing it.

Questin
03-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I just use my phone now.

aquaman2000
03-18-2008, 04:14 PM
The phone with the killer camera?

Reefkoi
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I use my brother p-touch labeler, attach the stickers to the back of the tank.
I also keep a log book as a second means.

I'm not sure what Larry can setup to make this work, I'll leave it up to his imagination :)
C

Questin
03-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Yep, that phone. Camera for still pics or videos, flashlight, MP3 player, day planner, black book, and vibrator to make all the women happy.

Rocmtnreef
04-01-2008, 02:04 AM
I set all my regular or irregular stuff into Microsoft Outlook Calendar and let it dummy remind me when the change ou is do up. I can reset the interval as needed and love it for all the weekly stuff that I just cant seem to keep straight.

aquaman2000
04-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Outlook is the way to go... I am going to be seting up all of my maintenance tanks or reminders in out look on my lap top.